Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Jason Chodakowski <ja...@hyperworx.com> on 2006/01/04 16:46:45 UTC

Using internal classes with Digester and XMLRules

I have a question about using the object-create-rule tag in an XML Rules
file.

How does one reference an internal class?

I've tried the following things:

.classname="foo.bar.Class$InternalClass"

And

.classname="foo.bar.Class.InternalClass"

And neither one works.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Re: Using internal classes with Digester and XMLRules

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 18:09 +0100, Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On 1/4/06, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyone else, just out of curiosity, is there a "best practice" around
> > this?  My feeling is that if I'm configuring an object that is only used
> > by a given class, i.e., Class foo has a collection of Class bar's that
> > will be created via Digester, and nothing outside foo uses bar, and then
> > making bar an inner class makes it a bit more obvious to me what its
> > purpose is and how it fits into the object schema, so to speak... although
> > one could argue that it represents coupling and therefore is bad... any
> > thoughts?
>
> You should use inner classes (non-static) only if they have a real
> tight coupling to the outer class, i.e. if they always need a outside
> instance (think: almost every method of the inner class would
> otherwise need an object of the outer class as parameter).
> Whether you prefer nested (static) classes or normal classes in the
> same package might depend on whether the nested class needs access to
> internals of the outer class (private methods) though one could argue
> that this is not a good design.
>
> Other than that it is probably a matter of personal style. But I tend
> to avoid static classes for the sole reason that they make the class
> bigger and less readable.

Non-static inner classes are of course very useful as "adapters" which
implement some interface and map it onto methods of the enclosing class.
I generally find them nicer than anonymous classes, though anonymous
classes are appropriate in some cases.

I agree with you both on all the other points.

Cheers,

Simon

Re: Using internal classes with Digester and XMLRules

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@gmail.com>.
On 1/4/06, Frank W. Zammetti <fz...@omnytex.com> wrote:

> Anyone else, just out of curiosity, is there a "best practice" around
> this?  My feeling is that if I'm configuring an object that is only used
> by a given class, i.e., Class foo has a collection of Class bar's that
> will be created via Digester, and nothing outside foo uses bar, and then
> making bar an inner class makes it a bit more obvious to me what its
> purpose is and how it fits into the object schema, so to speak... although
> one could argue that it represents coupling and therefore is bad... any
> thoughts?

You should use inner classes (non-static) only if they have a real
tight coupling to the outer class, i.e. if they always need a outside
instance (think: almost every method of the inner class would
otherwise need an object of the outer class as parameter).
Whether you prefer nested (static) classes or normal classes in the
same package might depend on whether the nested class needs access to
internals of the outer class (private methods) though one could argue
that this is not a good design.

Other than that it is probably a matter of personal style. But I tend
to avoid static classes for the sole reason that they make the class
bigger and less readable.

Tom

RE: Using internal classes with Digester and XMLRules

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Yeah, that'll work :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

RE: Error with digester and JasperReports / IllegalAccessError & setNestedPropertiesRule

Posted by Marco Mistroni <mm...@waersystems.com>.
Hello Niall,
	:(, that didn't solve it....

I am currently using those jars in my webinf\lib

Digester 1.7
BeanUtils .7
Collections2.1
Logging/logging-api 1.0.2

I remember having found this problem last year..someone suggested editing
Sourcecode for digester... but I dot' remember anymore what was that about

Anyone could help?

Thanks in advance and regards
 marco

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 16:17 +0000, Marco Mistroni wrote:
> Hello all,
> 	I am running JasperReports v. 1.1.0, that uses Digester 1.7
>
> In running my report I got following exception
>
> 04/01/06 15:55:19:797 GMT]  c563211 Digester      E
> org.apache.commons.digester.Digester  TRAS0014I: The following exception was
> logged java.lang.IllegalAccessError:
> org.apache.commons.digester.SetNestedPropertiesRule$AnyChildRule tried to
> access field org/apache/commons/digester/Digester.log from class
> 	at
> org.apache.commons.digester.SetNestedPropertiesRule$AnyChildRule.body(SetNes
> tedPropertiesRule.java:393)

[snip]

> I had this error before and fixed long time ago.... but now I don't remember
> how I fix it... was it to revert to digester 1.6
>
> Do I have to revert to an earlier version of commons-digester?
> I am using following libraries
>
> Digester 1.7
> BeanUtils 1.5
> Collections 2.1
> Logging 1.0.2
> Logging-api 1.0.2
>
> Anyone could help?

I remember this being reported many months ago. I looked into it, but
the line numbers and error reported didn't make any sense. I recommended
contacting the Jasper developers to see if they had done anything
non-standard with Digester. Nothing else was ever heard on the topic as
far as I know.

The situation is still the same. The first point of call should be
Jasper I think - unless you can provide a simple testcase that
duplicates this which I can run without installing jasper and running
reports.

Regards,

Simon

Error with digester and JasperReports / IllegalAccessError & setNestedPropertiesRule

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.