Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Stavros Konstantaras <s....@uva.nl> on 2016/03/29 14:24:35 UTC

Solaris 11.3 can not be installed

Hi all

Did anyone manage to install Solaris 11.3 on a xenserver VM? I am running CS 4.6 with XenServer 6.5 and I try to install Solaris by using the official Oracle iso (text install), but installation is not continuing when I hit F2 to install on local storage. It seems that it is not able to discover the local disk and as a result, it returns back to the installation menu and prompts me the error “disk_link: invalid disk device number 768”.

Is Xenserver incompatible with Solaris 11.3? I have installed all the latest patches on my XenServer cluster.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Stavros

----------------------------
Stavros Konstantaras
Science faculty Research IT support (FEIOG)
University of Amsterdam, Science Park 904, 1098 XH

Fingerprint: E5E5 9B19 D1CD 88CD 4763  3465 A8DC 7C92 330F D59A

Re: Solaris 11.3 can not be installed

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@secretresearchfacility.com>.
> using the official Oracle iso (text install), but installation is not
> continuing when I hit F2 to install on local storage. It seems that
> it is not able to discover the local disk and as a result, it returns
> back to the installation menu and prompts me the error “disk_link:
> invalid disk device number 768”.

768 looks to me like the representation of linux "hda".
Xen supports different kinds of device-virtualization/emulation which
are mapped to acs os types. I'ld try selecting other OS types which
require HVM, mabye "Other (64bit)" .

Re: Solaris 11.3 can not be installed

Posted by Stavros Konstantaras <s....@uva.nl>.
Hi Shweta,

Yes I know that Xenserver is not supporting officially Solaris OS but after reading the discussion that you sent me I was wondering if any member managed to do it successfully.

I tried yesterday to install it and I didn’t face any CPU related issues, only the fact that the OS can not discover the local disk. However, looks like the usage of iSCSI storage is a working solution.

Thanks anyway.

Regards
Stavros