Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by eugene miretsky <eu...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/27 22:12:32 UTC

When is anti-entropy repair required?

Hi,

Trying to get some clarifications on this post: https://docs.datastax.
com/en/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/operations/opsRepairNodesWhen.html

As far as I understand it, repairs to account for the fact that nodes could
go down (for short of long period of time)

The 2 main reasons for repairing are:

   1. To make sure date is consistent
   2. To make sure tombstones don't creep back

If I have a time series data model, with TWCS compaction where I never
update rows and hence don't care about either of the above (the whole
SSTable just expires after a few days ), do I even need to run repairs?

Re: When is anti-entropy repair required?

Posted by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eugene,

> If I have a time series data model, with TWCS compaction where I never
> update rows and hence don't care about either of the above (the whole
> SSTable just expires after a few days ), do I even need to run repairs?

Probably not. I think you can go without repairs. Using only time series
with TTL is fine as long as you don't delete anything. And TWCS is a very
good fit as it will allow Cassandra to remove some expired SSTable without
compacting the data.

If consistency matters, use CL = LOCAL_QUORUM on Reads & Writes though.

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - alain@thelastpickle.com
France

http://www.thelastpickle.com