Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2006/12/27 00:55:31 UTC

Trunk build failure: NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/stream/XMLStreamException

I've run the server/trunk build twice on JDK 1.5 twice from a clean
repo, both times it fails here:

<snip>
[INFO]
----
[INFO] Building Geronimo :: Service :: Builder
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO]
----
[INFO] snapshot org.codehaus.mojo:xmlbeans-maven-plugin:2.0.1-
SNAPSHOT: checking for updates from apache-snapshots
[INFO] snapshot org.codehaus.mojo:xmlbeans-maven-plugin:2.0.1-
SNAPSHOT: checking for updates from codehaus-snapshots
[INFO] snapshot org.codehaus.mojo:xmlbeans-maven-plugin:2.0.1-
SNAPSHOT: checking for updates from apache.snapshots
Downloading: http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org/org/codehaus/
mojo/xmlbeans-maven-plugin/2.0.1-SNAPSHOT/xmlbeans-maven-
plugin-2.0.1-20061223.141616-9.pom
5K downloaded
Downloading: http://repository.codehaus.org/org/codehaus/mojo/mojo/11/
mojo-11.pom
7K downloaded
Downloading: http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org/org/codehaus/
mojo/xmlbeans-maven-plugin/2.0.1-SNAPSHOT/xmlbeans-maven-
plugin-2.0.1-20061223.141616-9.jar
30K downloaded
[INFO] [tools:require-java-version {execution: validate-java-version}]
[INFO] [xmlbeans:xmlbeans {execution: default}]
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] javax/xml/stream/XMLStreamException
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/stream/XMLStreamException
	at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2395)
	at java.lang.Class.getMethod0(Class.java:2642)
	at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Class.java:1579)
	at org.apache.xmlbeans.XmlBeans.buildMethod(XmlBeans.java:174)
	at org.apache.xmlbeans.XmlBeans.buildNodeMethod(XmlBeans.java:195)
	at org.apache.xmlbeans.XmlBeans.buildNodeToCursorMethod
(XmlBeans.java:232)
	at org.apache.xmlbeans.XmlBeans.(XmlBeans.java:131)
	at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.schema.SchemaTypeLoaderBase.
(SchemaTypeLoaderBase.java:64)
	at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.tool.SchemaCompiler.compile
(SchemaCompiler.java:1063)
	at org.codehaus.mojo.xmlbeans.AbstractXmlBeansPlugin.execute
(AbstractXmlBeansPlugin.java:270)
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo
(DefaultPluginManager.java:412)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:534)
	at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLifec
ycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:475)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:454)
	at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHandle
Failures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:306)
	at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegments(
DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:273)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute
(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:140)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)
(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:
430)
</snip>

--jason

Re: Trunk build failure: NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/stream/XMLStreamException

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 5, 2007, at 3:27 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> I ran into this last night and changing versions of the xmlbeans
> plugin had no effect for me.
>
> After some study I believe but can't yet prove that after the maven
> folks telling me it was absolutely impossible to fix the xmlbeans
> 2.0.0 pom so it was correct, it got changed to a new and
> differently broken form.  I don't think this has anything to do
> with snapshots, but rather instability of the allegedly permanent
> non-snapshot maven repo.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a changelog for the central repo?

Works for me, if i remove 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT from my local repo (i.e. rm -
rf ~/.m2/repository/org/codehaus/mojo/xmlbeans-maven-plugin/2.0.1-
SNAPSHOT).

Well, you can use the date of the snapshot as a rough estimate of
when a change was introduced.

So, what do the maven folks say "we" are supposed to do about this?

--kevan

Re: Trunk build failure: NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/stream/XMLStreamException

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I ran into this last night and changing versions of the xmlbeans
plugin had no effect for me.

After some study I believe but can't yet prove that after the maven
folks telling me it was absolutely impossible to fix the xmlbeans
2.0.0 pom so it was correct, it got changed to a new and differently
broken form.  I don't think this has anything to do with snapshots,
but rather instability of the allegedly permanent non-snapshot maven
repo.

Does anyone know if there is a changelog for the central repo?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Donald Woods <dr...@yahoo.com>.
Can we host a repo per release (1.2, 2.0, ...) on guild.org and only
check-in the repo contents in svn when a branch is created, so it gets
tagged with a release (milestone, beta, final, ...)?  That would keep us
from bloating the storage space required in the repo due to binary diffs
of frequently changing artifacts.

Then, we could define m2 profiles to pull the artifacts from the gbuild
hosted repo or svn for released builds or from the public repos for
people working on new code before it is committed and the gbuild repo
updated.

-Donald

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
we actually do nightly builds on ws.zones.apache.org and the snapshots
are available there:
ws.zones.apache.org/repository/

the snapshot jars are also ssh/copied over to
people.apache.org/repo/m1-snapshot-repository/

So that makes it 2 points of failure instead of just one. We did this
during the last big infra migration when mino was down for a few
days....

I guess svk and bazaar are equivalent...easy to set up. the main thing
is we can tell infra that we don't need anything backed up and even if
the whole zone goes kaput the project can still go on since it is just
the repo stored in svk/bazaar. When i last played with it, bazaar was
very easy to setup/use and can just work off a directory (no need for
a BerkleyDB instance etc..). So my 2 cents is that it will help reduce
pulling jars down to local repo if we set one up. if we lose the box,
we can just re-populate it from any one of the distriibuted copies...

thanks,
-- dims

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I updated the project Pom to refer to the older SNAPSHOT for now.
I'll contact the XMLBeans guys to work on the issue.

On Dec 27, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> [...]
>> 	at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:
>> 315)
>> 	at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:255)
>> 	at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode
>> (Launcher.java:430)
>> 	at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:375)
>> </snip>
>
> I get the same error trying to build openejb/trunk/openejb2.
>
> I see there's a recently updated maven plugin that is likely to be
> the cause (or at least related). I'm picking up the following
> snapshot when I build:
>
> Downloading: http://snapshots.repository.codehaus.org/org/codehaus/
> mojo/xmlbeans-maven-plugin/2.0.1-SNAPSHOT/xmlbeans-maven-
> plugin-2.0.1-20061223.141616-9.jar
>
> Matt says that his build works by setting the version for the
> plugin to <version>2.0.1-20060627.031204-7</version>

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

Re: Trunk build failure: NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/stream/XMLStreamException

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.