httpd mem usage (revisited)

Guys,

Again - sorry for cross posting...

I asked a while ago about Apache mem usage when mod_perl is installed..  and
plenty of people told me that 10-15Mb per httpd was not uncommon, due to
mod_perl's inclusion...

I have just thrown another 128Mb RAM at our test server, bringing it up to
256Mb in total... and now.. low-and-behold, the httpd proccesses have shot
up to between 30 and 42Mb! :-(

What I did do though was to increase the number of servers/spareservers etc,
a little when I put more memory in, becuase I had previously cut them right
back..  they are now back to normal, (5 normal, 10 max)

Is it usuallfor the servers to increase to however big they can get away
with? or I did wonder, do the httpd proccesses children get marked under the
same process in "top"... so one 42Mb could infact be one 14Mb process with 2
children? (Not sure I quite understand all this.. from a RiscOS background!
;-)

The only other thing I could think of is - is there a leak somewhere.. are
these processes guzzling more memory that they should...

The primary use for this apache (or atleas for mod_perl) is XML::Xalan, so I
wondered if Xalan or Xerces were stealing too much memory?

Anyhow... if you can tell me whether this is what I should expect, or offer
any cure if it shouldn't happen I would be very greatful for the help,

Kindest,

Jimbo

PS: server's running...

 "Apache/1.3.24 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.8 OpenSSL/0.9.6c mod_perl/1.26"
 Xalan/Xerces versions according to XML::Xalan.. .