Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Cakalic, James" <Ja...@heybridge.com> on 2002/02/21 20:51:17 UTC

RE: EJB = bad = MS.net - worrisome flow of ignorant off-topic "a dvice" on this board

I'm not sure it is entirely off-topic, Alex. Many people are concerned, and
rightly so, about application of technologies and design patterns in the
development of systems which are also utilizing Struts. Sometimes the use of
a framework like Struts can result in confusion by less enlightened ones
than yourself about how to 'hook-up' the rest of the system. I've seen
several posts now by Ted Husted that talk about the proper allocation of
responsibilities to Action classes v. "business delegates" which interact
with the model. Meaningful advice about patterns and technologies can help
people who are searching for proven solutions. Unfortunately, the thread
went a bit astray even as it started because of the character of the
comments.

BTW, as for mapping "500 data tables to 500 entity beans" being an "idiotic
architecture", I went to an IBM WebSphere Commerce Suite course last month
and learned that the product has 300 tables, nearly all of which are mapped
by CMP entity beans. There are almost no session beans in the design. And
they don't use container managed transactions. Every unit of work started by
a web hit is wrapped in a JTA user transaction by the web app front
controller and the transaction includes the response generation. Not quite
the architecture I would have expected. Can't speak to any of the -ilities
of this design. But just goes to show, I think, that there are plenty of
ways to tackle the problem.

As for off-topic discussions, I would have expected you to flame the "Which
development environment" thread a little more vigorously than this one. But
maybe what is irrelevant, frivolous, ignorant, or off-topic is a matter of
personal opinion?

Jim

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: EJB = bad = MS.net

Posted by Thinh Doan <td...@twjconsulting.com>.
I vote to keep this discussion going on here since 1) I don't want to
subscribe to another mailing list, and 2) it's a "natural" progression for
me to follow the MVC (Struts) framework/mindset.  There are topics related
to Struts here that I can't afford to read them all, perhaps EJBs could be
one topic for those who are not interested in this subject.

About Ghoot's point that we need to pick the right technology for the right
application/requirements, I'd totally agree.  And I'm relying on this type
of discussions to help me make that initial decision, provided it's factual
and objective.  If everyone says technology XYZ should be avoided because
1)... 2)..., don't go there, why would I waste time considering or
evaluating it?

So many thanks to those who have contributed to this thread.

Thinh