Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/23 08:01:36 UTC

maven-eclipse-plugin: pde support and OSGiManifest writer

Does anyone actually use pde mode in maven-eclipse-plugin?

The support looks pretty basic and there are other better options like
tycho and felix for doing this stuff.

EclipseOSGiManifestWriter has been deprecated in favour of felix and I
wonder whether its worth keeping the other stuff around.

I realise that not every use of the plugin is going to be on the user
list - but it can give a gauge of sentiment.

Opinions welcome.

Re: maven-eclipse-plugin: pde support and OSGiManifest writer

Posted by Stephen Coy <st...@resolvesw.com>.
We're building bundles with the following build configuration:

    <packaging>bundle</packaging>

    <build>
        <extensions>
            <extension>
                <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
                <artifactId>org.osgi.core</artifactId>
                <version>1.2.0</version>
            </extension>
        </extensions>

        <plugins>

            <!-- configure the bundle plugin executed as part of the bundle packaging type -->
            <!-- generate an OSGI manifest -->
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
                <extensions>true</extensions>
                <configuration>
                    <manifestLocation>META-INF</manifestLocation>
                    <instructions>
                        <_nouses>true</_nouses>
                        <Bundle-SymbolicName>com.foobar.platform.rules.deployer.config;singleton:=true</Bundle-SymbolicName>
                        <Bundle-Name>Foobar Deployer Configuration</Bundle-Name>
                        <Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment>JavaSE-1.6</Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment>
                        <Bundle-DocURL />
                        <Import-Package>!*</Import-Package>
                        <Private-Package>com.foobar.platform.rules.deployer.config.*</Private-Package>
                        <Export-Package />
                        <Bundle-Activator>com.foobar.platform.rules.deployer.config.plugin.DeployerConfigPlugin</Bundle-Activator>
                        <Bundle-ActivationPolicy>lazy</Bundle-ActivationPolicy>
                        <Embed-Dependency>*;scope=compile|runtime;inline=false</Embed-Dependency>
                        <Embed-Transitive>true</Embed-Transitive>
                        <Include-Resource>plugin.xml,src/main/resources</Include-Resource>
                        <Bundle-ClassPath>.,{maven-dependencies}</Bundle-ClassPath>
                        <Require-Bundle>org.eclipse.core.runtime,org.eclipse.ui,com.foobar.core,com.foobar.core.deployer.rc.config,com.axegroup.rcp.plugins.log4j,org.apache.commons.lang</Require-Bundle>
                        <Eclipse-RegisterBuddy>com.foobar.core,com.axegroup.rcp.plugins.log4j</Eclipse-RegisterBuddy>
                    </instructions>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

            <!-- Unpack jar dependencies into the target directory so they can be used by the pde plugin -->
            <plugin>
                <configuration>
                    <excludeTransitive>false</excludeTransitive>
                </configuration>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <id>copy-dependencies</id>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>copy-dependencies</goal>
                        </goals>
                        <configuration>
                            <excludeScope>provided</excludeScope>
                            <outputDirectory>${basedir}</outputDirectory>
                            <overWriteReleases>false</overWriteReleases>
                            <overWriteSnapshots>false</overWriteSnapshots>
                            <overWriteIfNewer>true</overWriteIfNewer>
                        </configuration>
                    </execution>
                </executions>
            </plugin>
            <!-- clean up all the dependency jars dumped in the plugin root directory for the pde plugin -->
            <plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-clean-plugin</artifactId>
                <configuration>
                    <filesets>
                        <fileset>
                            <directory>${basedir}</directory>
                            <includes>
                                <include>*.jar</include>
                            </includes>
                            <followSymlinks>false</followSymlinks>
                        </fileset>
                    </filesets>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

            <!-- configuration for the Eclipse IDE -->
            <plugin>
                <artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
                <configuration>
                    <pde>true</pde>
                    <useProjectReferences>false</useProjectReferences>
                    <classpathContainers>
                        <classpathContainer>org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/JavaSE-1.6</classpathContainer>
                        <classpathContainer>org.eclipse.pde.core.requiredPlugins</classpathContainer>
                    </classpathContainers>
                </configuration>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <id>run eclipse plugin</id>
                        <phase>prepare-package</phase>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>clean</goal>
                            <goal>eclipse</goal>
                        </goals>
                    </execution>
                </executions>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </build>

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Coy <st...@resolvesw.com>.
FWIW, we're using pde mode at present.

We have a largish (~ 40 modules) framework that builds both RCP applications and web applications.

I haven't had a chance to figure out how to integrate Tycho into this arrangement. On the surface it looks like you're either using p2 dependencies or maven dependencies but not both.

Thanks,

Steve C

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@scalaris.com>.
Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> I guess there wouldn't be any issue removing it adding a warning
> pointing to the Felix plugin.
> Osgi manifests are better handled there.

+1

- Jörg

Re: maven-eclipse-plugin: pde support and OSGiManifest writer

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
+1

Having fewer partial implementations to confuse folks is always better IMO.

On 9/27/11 2:08 AM, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> I guess there wouldn't be any issue removing it adding a warning
> pointing to the Felix plugin.
> Osgi manifests are better handled there.
>
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Barrie Treloar<ba...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Does anyone actually use pde mode in maven-eclipse-plugin?
>>
>> The support looks pretty basic and there are other better options like
>> tycho and felix for doing this stuff.
>>
>> EclipseOSGiManifestWriter has been deprecated in favour of felix and I
>> wonder whether its worth keeping the other stuff around.
>>
>> I realise that not every use of the plugin is going to be on the user
>> list - but it can give a gauge of sentiment.
>>
>> Opinions welcome.

John Casey
Developer, PMC Chair - Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Blog: http://www.johnofalltrades.name/

Re: maven-eclipse-plugin: pde support and OSGiManifest writer

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.