Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2010/05/16 02:32:24 UTC

alternate packaging for uima-as

The 2.3.0-incubating binary release of uima-as is packaged an "add-on"
and you need to download base uima binary release, and unzip the uima-as
over that base release.  This does things like combine example files and
directories, libs, etc.

We did this because of concerns about the size of the UIMA-AS package.

I think it is not a friendly way to package this, and because we intend
(at least for now) to have the uima-as add-on version track the base
version, I'd like to reconsider this.  My preference is to have the
uima-as binary distribution include the base UIMA distribution.

Other opinions?

-Marshall

Re: alternate packaging for uima-as

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
I like this process of separating a simple slim package from the entire
distribution package both for UIMA-AS and UIMA-base.
I am not sure I understood Marshall's ideas well, could you explain them
better?
Thanks.
Tommaso

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
> +1.  Some possibilities:
> * We could do a special folder in the main binary distr.

That would be fine for the way I use it.
> * We could add some special Jars:  e.g. uima-as-service-runtime-one-jar.jar

I like the new lib folder, when I install a UIMA AS service I usually create
a new folder inside the uima as folder for my descriptors and just copy
all my additional jar files to the lib folder, then I start the whole
thing with the deployAsyncService.sh script.

Jörn

Re: alternate packaging for uima-as

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.