Posted to user@metron.apache.org by "Yerex, Tom" <to...@ubc.ca> on 2020/05/05 23:52:53 UTC

Drop events from Metron parser

Good afternoon,

Our incoming data is not always perfect, in some cases events are simply missing fields. We would like a way to drop events when particular fields are empty (or have values we don't care about).

One way we thought to do this might be to write a custom Stellar function. Does anyone know of another solution?

Thank you,

Tom.

Re: Drop events from Metron parser

Posted by Justin Leet <ju...@gmail.com>.
At the parser level, there's some configuration you can use for filtering
events. Specifically "filterClassName".  Take a look at the documentation,
you can either use a custom class, or use Stellar.  The example is even for
"exists(field)", which you could modify to fail for missing fields.

https://metron.apache.org/current-book/metron-platform/metron-parsers/index.html

Posted by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com>.
 Nifi’s Syslog 5424 support is based on the same library as Metron uses.

On May 5, 2020 at 22:02:11, Dima Kovalyov (dimdroll@gmail.com) wrote:

Hello Tom,

Exactly, NiFi has range of ingest capable processors including Syslog
server.

- Dima

Posted by Dima Kovalyov <di...@gmail.com>.
Hello Tom,

Posted by Dima Kovalyov <di...@gmail.com>.
I would drop them on ingestion using NiFi's RouteOnContent.

On Tue, May 5, 2020, 17:53 Yerex, Tom <to...@ubc.ca> wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> Our incoming data is not always perfect, in some cases events are simply
> missing fields. We would like a way to drop events when particular fields
> are empty (or have values we don't care about).
>
> One way we thought to do this might be to write a custom Stellar function.
> Does anyone know of another solution?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tom.

- Dima