Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Michael Mattox <mi...@verideon.com> on 2005/09/14 18:13:35 UTC

[M1.1] SAXParserFactoryImpl could not be instantiated

I tried upgrading from 1.0.2 to 1.1-beta2 and I get an error right away.
Ie searched the mailing list and the compatability notes and don't see
anything about this error.  nothing in JIRA either (close but not the
same).  I've tested with JRockit and the SUN JDK, all JDK 1.5 and it
doesn't work.  I've put Xerces 1.2.7 in jre/lib/endorsed in both and that
doesn't work either.  I'm really stuck on this.  If anyone has any ideas
I'd be grateful.

[mmattox@ciweb2gdev1 maven]$ maven -X clean
 __  __
|  \/  |__ _Apache__ ___
| |\/| / _` \ V / -_) ' \  ~ intelligent projects ~
|_|  |_\__,_|\_/\___|_||_|  v. 1.1-beta-2

Initializing Plugins!
Set plugin source directory to /usr/local/maven-1.1-beta-2/plugins
Set unpacked plugin directory to /users/mmattox/.maven/cache
Set user plugin directory to /users/mmattox/.maven/plugins
Plugin cache will be regenerated
Now mapping cached plugins
Now loading uncached plugins
Using userBuildPropertiesFile: /users/mmattox/build.properties
Using projectPropertiesFile:
/users/mmattox/.maven/cache/maven-nsis-plugin-1.1/project.properties
Using projectBuildPropertiesFile:
/users/mmattox/.maven/cache/maven-nsis-plugin-1.1/build.properties
javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError: Provider
org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl could not be instantiated:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(SAXParserFactory.java:113)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.JellyScriptHousing.parse(JellyScriptHousing.java:152)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.JellyScriptHousing.parse(JellyScriptHousing.java:177)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginManager.loadUncachedPlugins(PluginManager.java:238)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginManager.initialize(PluginManager.java:303)
        at
org.apache.maven.MavenSession.initializePluginManager(MavenSession.java:204)
        at org.apache.maven.MavenSession.initialize(MavenSession.java:171)
        at org.apache.maven.cli.App.doMain(App.java:498)
        at org.apache.maven.cli.App.main(App.java:1258)
        at
jrockit.reflect.InitialMethodInvoker.invoke(Ljava.lang.Object;[Ljava.lang.Object;)Ljava.lang.Object;(Unknown
Source)
        at
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Ljava.lang.Object;[Ljava.lang.Object;I)Ljava.lang.Object;(Unknown
Source)
        at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.run(Forehead.java:551)
        at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.main(Forehead.java:581)

Vous avez rencontré une erreur inconnue en exécutant Maven.
Svp aidez-nous à corriger ce problème en suivant ces étapes :
- lisez la FAQ de Maven à http://maven.apache.org/faq.html
- exécutez la même commande avec le paramètre '-e', par exemple 'maven -e
jar'
- recherchez l'erreur dans les archives à
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org
- poster la sortie de maven -e sur JIRA à ???issueTrackingUrl??? (vous
devez vous enregistez d'abord)
- exécutez 'maven --info' et poster la sortie ainsi que l'environment pour
le bug ci-dessus

Mémoire Finale : 5M/64M
Temps total    : 0 secondes
Fini le        : mercredi 14 septembre 2005 18:06:37 CEST

[mmattox@ciweb2gdev1 maven]$

believed to be clean.

Re: [M1.1] SAXParserFactoryImpl could not be instantiated

Posted by Michael Mattox <mi...@verideon.com>.
> Solution:
>
> - point MAVEN_HOME to maven-1.1-beta2
> - modify PATH to point the 'bin' folder of Maven 1.1 beta 2
>
> Remark : if you do the first, but not the second, then you'll get the
> error you indicated. What is confusing
> however, is that you see '1.1-beta-2' in the Maven logo, despite the
> fact that your configuration still
> partially points to Maven-1.0.2.

The problem was even more subtle than that.  Apparently when using VNC,
creating a new xterm doesn't reset all the environment variables.  So even
though I changed MAVEN_HOME in my .bashrc and my PATH had PATH =
MAVEN_HOME + PATH in it, I ended up with a PATH that had maven 1.1 in it
and afterwards maven 1.0.  This still would have worked if it were not for
the fact that unzipping Maven 1.1 resulted in a maven script that was not
executable, thus the shell found the maven script in the older 1.0
directory which was unknowingly in my path!!!

I lost a lot of time figuring all that out.  I agree with Brett, it'd be
worth adding a check to see if multiple maven versions are in the path and
give a warning message.  Because it was very strange to have the script
run from the maven 1.0 directory yet display 1.1-beta2 on the terminal!!!

Thanks for the help, I wouldn't have figured this out myself.

-Michael

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
What I will do for the next release is test for this variable and if it is
there, test for the class, and fail with a better error if not.

- Brett

Posted by Davy Toch <Da...@belgacom.net>.
Solution: