Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2003/02/08 12:51:53 UTC

Re: [Vote] AvalonDB

Folks,

Given the project is inviable under Apache rule (3 active committers et
al), I propose AvalonDB should go to SourceForge.  The same viability
rules govern db.apache.org as they do here. It will of course respect
the wish that Avalon as a brand/package name is dropped.  It will credit
its roots in a footnote though.

I look forward to welcoming committers to that projects (ye all have SF
IDs right ;-)

I'll wait a couple of days before the CVS removal, because the for
overwhelming vote in favor of a move was not explicitly for a move to
SourceForge.

Comments..... ?

Regards,

- Paul

Re: [Vote] AvalonDB

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Nicola,

>> Incubator has a min committer limit of two.  Whilst I have a fellow
>> waiting in the wings to help me on this, I can't get him into Apache
>> because of the six-month-of-patches rule.
>

> Wuzthat? Do we have a six-month-of-patches rule in incubator? Doh ;-)

We don't give out apache accounts to just about anyone you know - they
have to prove dedication...

>> Axion is more developed than AvalonDB.  There is no reason that a
>> second database would be required here at Apache.
>

> If you feel the need to not follow AxionDB, there is a reason. That
> reason is the same one that makes me think that there is space here
> for AvalonDB.
>
> This does not mean (I want to be clear) that I don't want AvalonDB to
> go to SF. Just trying to make the decision aware of all the options.

There does not seem to be much point to butting up against Jason's
Axion.  Let this one go dude.... :-)

>> How is the altrmi setup doing in incubator? ;-)
>

> Doh. The requests were made, but still have to be done. Oh well...

:-)

- Paul

Re: [Vote] AvalonDB

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Paul Hammant wrote, On 08/02/2003 13.12:
> Nicola,
>
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> Given the project is inviable under Apache rule (3 active committers
>>> et al), I propose AvalonDB should go to SourceForge.  The same
>>> viability rules govern db.apache.org as they do here.
>>

>> Paul, this is not completely correct. Incubation is a possible
>> alternative, and the db project has/will probably have a sandbox where
>> to make it grow. BTW, AxionDB will most probably move there too, soon.
>

> Incubator has a min committer limit of two.  Whilst I have a fellow
> waiting in the wings to help me on this, I can't get him into Apache
> because of the six-month-of-patches rule.

Wuzthat? Do we have a six-month-of-patches rule in incubator? Doh ;-)

> Axion is more developed than AvalonDB.  There is no reason that a second
> database would be required here at Apache.

If you feel the need to not follow AxionDB, there is a reason. That
reason is the same one that makes me think that there is space here for
AvalonDB.

This does not mean (I want to be clear) that I don't want AvalonDB to go
to SF. Just trying to make the decision aware of all the options.

> How is the altrmi setup doing in incubator? ;-)

Doh. The requests were made, but still have to be done. Oh well...

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Vote] AvalonDB

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Nicola,

Re: [Vote] AvalonDB

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We should try to wrap this up now.  The project has not been worked on
> for nearly a year, and is nowhere near deployment status.  It certainly
> could restart, but other projects are way in advance of this (Axion,
> hsqldb).
>
> Can we just blitz it and put in on SourceForge ?

+1

Re: [Vote] AvalonDB

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Paul Hammant wrote, On 02/03/2003 13.41:
> Folks,
>
> We should try to wrap this up now.  The project has not been worked on
> for nearly a year, and is nowhere near deployment status.  It certainly
> could restart, but other projects are way in advance of this (Axion,
> hsqldb).
>
> Can we just blitz it and put in on SourceForge ?

AFAIK it was already decided. Unless anyone can prove that the vote was
not positive, please go ahead.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Vote] AvalonDB

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Folks,

Re: [Vote] AvalonDB

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Stephen,

Re: [Vote] AvalonDB

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Jason van Zyl wrote:

>On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 07:09, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>>Paul Hammant wrote, On 08/02/2003 12.51:
>>

>>>Folks,
>>>
>>>Given the project is inviable under Apache rule (3 active committers et
>>>al), I propose AvalonDB should go to SourceForge.  The same viability
>>>rules govern db.apache.org as they do here.
>>>

>>Paul, this is not completely correct. Incubation is a possible
>>alternative, and the db project has/will probably have a sandbox where
>>to make it grow. BTW, AxionDB will most probably move there too, soon.
>>

>If Axion comes it will go straight into a project. It was listed as a
>seed project and approved by the board when the proposal was accepted.
>
>I don't see why AvalonDB can't come to db.apache.org. Wouldn't bother me
>if Hsqldb went their either.

That's the sort of scenario I would like to see playing out.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: [Vote] AvalonDB

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 07:09, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Paul Hammant wrote, On 08/02/2003 12.51:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Given the project is inviable under Apache rule (3 active committers et
> > al), I propose AvalonDB should go to SourceForge.  The same viability
> > rules govern db.apache.org as they do here.
>
> Paul, this is not completely correct. Incubation is a possible
> alternative, and the db project has/will probably have a sandbox where
> to make it grow. BTW, AxionDB will most probably move there too, soon.

If Axion comes it will go straight into a project. It was listed as a
seed project and approved by the board when the proposal was accepted.

I don't see why AvalonDB can't come to db.apache.org. Wouldn't bother me
if Hsqldb went their either.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [Vote] AvalonDB

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Paul Hammant wrote, On 08/02/2003 12.51:
> Folks,
>
> Given the project is inviable under Apache rule (3 active committers et
> al), I propose AvalonDB should go to SourceForge.  The same viability
> rules govern db.apache.org as they do here.

Paul, this is not completely correct. Incubation is a possible
alternative, and the db project has/will probably have a sandbox where
to make it grow. BTW, AxionDB will most probably move there too, soon.

> It will of course respect
> the wish that Avalon as a brand/package name is dropped.  It will credit
> its roots in a footnote though.

And I respect and will help with any decision that the people involved
in the project will take, and wish all the best.

Re: [Vote] AvalonDB

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Given the project is inviable under Apache rule (3 active committers et
> al), I propose AvalonDB should go to SourceForge.  The same viability
> rules govern db.apache.org as they do here. It will of course respect
> the wish that Avalon as a brand/package name is dropped.  It will credit
> its roots in a footnote though.
>
> I look forward to welcoming committers to that projects (ye all have SF
> IDs right ;-)
>
> I'll wait a couple of days before the CVS removal, because the for
> overwhelming vote in favor of a move was not explicitly for a move to
> SourceForge.
>
> Comments..... ?

+1. I'll keep tracking it. Everything else already said I guess.

cheers,

- Leo