Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/05 20:25:48 UTC

[DRAFT] Podling Report Apache OpenMeetings June 2012

Bellow my first proposal for our quarterly report.
Please comment and add your part.

Thanks!

--------------------
Openmeetings

Openmeetings provides video conferencing, instant messaging, white
board, collaborative document editing and other groupware tools using
API functions of the Red5 Streaming Server for Remoting and Streaming.

OpenMeetings entered the incubation on November 12, 2011.

to be reviewed.
JARs are no more in our SVN and a first NOTICE file for dependencies is
written and to be discussed when the first official Release Candidate is
nominated.
The Releas Candidate is basically ready.  we are just working on some
issues with the Flash Streaming Protocol's variant "RTMPT", that is Flash
Streaming over HTTP Tunneling. RTMPT is just a fallback protocol and not
the primary used in OpenMeetings. Nevertheless it is important to sort that
out as the Tunneling protocol is needed for bypassing Firewalls.
The RTMPT issue is basically a Red5 issue and we are hoping to either
contribute or find other ways helping Red5 community to sort it out.

Our 3 official GSoC students are doing good and we have weekly meetings
where we discuss with them their projects.
=> Do we have a summary somewhere about the current GSoC projects and the
tasks?
We have a 4th volunteering student that does his GSoC project even if not
accepted officially by Google. He does enhance the ATutor plugin for OCAD:
http://wiki.atutor.ca/display/atutorwiki/Google+Summer+of+Code+2012#GoogleSummerofCode2012-13.EnhanceIntegrationofATutorwithApacheOpenMeetingsWebConferencing
OCAD Devs have kindly contributed their existing Code under APL (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENMEETINGS-280) so that the student
can work on it and contribute his patches to the Apache OpenMeetings.

Community is growing, although not all people have found their way to the
new mailing list and website yet. But we think that will change as soon as
there is an announcement with a new release.

--
Sebastian Wagner
https://twitter.com/#!/dead_lock

Re: [DRAFT] Podling Report Apache OpenMeetings June 2012

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
I'll sign off on this report, but it concerns me that there is no plan
for community engagement and the project still employs a practice of
meeting offlist.

I am not saying, at this time, this is wrong. I've not been watching
closely enough to see what actually happens in these meetings or how
they are organised. This is just a friendly reminder that, as a
mentor, I want to look more closely at this.

In general there is no need for any technical information. The section
on release can simply be "we are very close to a release candidate,
expect to have completed the release by our next report".

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Programme Leader (Open Development)

Re: [DRAFT] Podling Report Apache OpenMeetings June 2012

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.