Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Joseph F. Dries III" <jd...@askalbert.com> on 2000/04/18 19:28:28 UTC

Apache+Tomcat

Hello All,

I've looked through all the included documentation, and several online FAQs
and the developer's archived list. I'm apparently missing something.

What I would like to do is have Apache Server handle all static pages and
images, while Tomcat handles JSP pages (and eventually servlets, but none
for now). Eventually the Apache Server and Tomcat will be on different
boxes, but for now they are on the same test machine.

The above isn't a problem. I believe I have that working fine. What my
problem is, that I want the above configuration working with both
VirtualHost support, and I want all .jsp files handled from the DocumentRoot
downwards.

So I'd want the request

  http://www.mydomain.com/

to retrieve index.jsp from /home/sites/www.mydomain.com/htdocs. That doesn't
seem to be working. I'd prefer not having to map an additional path of /jsp
or /examples or whatever to make this work. I'd like to then be able to
handle that for every other virtual host and document root, so:

  http://www.anotherdomain.org/

will retrieve index.jsp from /home/sites/www.anotherdomain.org/htdocs, etc.

I just cannot seem to get everything mapped correctly. The documentation
mentions definign contexts, which I'm not quite grasping how those relate to
.jsps, I thought they were specific to servlets. And I'm not sure what files
need to be modified, the documention and FAQs mention httpd.conf
(obviously), tomcat.conf, tomcat.properties, site-specific.properties. I've
noticed also that there are server.xml, and web.xml files that seem to map
the Location handlers for /examples, /servlets, etc. to physical
directories.

Is there anywhere a clear, concise, preferably with example conf files,
documentation that is accurate wrt. integrating Apache 1.3 (specifically
1.3.6 or newer), and Tomcat 3.1M1?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-j

--
Joseph F. Dries III
Advanced Logic Systems

www.askalbert.com
jdries@askalbert.com

Re: Apache+Tomcat

Posted by Rabia Malik <ra...@ardec.com>.
Hi J,
Read the attached document. It's having all info about what you are trying to
do.

Rabia