Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joe Cheng <Jo...@LOBBY7.com> on 2001/12/17 17:15:28 UTC

apps-xxx.xml vs. server.xml

Hi everyone,

As I understand it, Tomcat 3.3 uses apps-xxx.xml to configure contexts and
configuring contexts via server.xml is only supported for backward
compatibility.

Tomcat 4.0 does not seem to support apps-xxx.xml at this time, however.  Are
there plans to give 4.0 this capability?  In other words, is apps-xxx.xml
the "new" way to do it across all versions of Tomcat, or only 3.x?

Thanks-
jmc

Re: apps-xxx.xml vs. server.xml

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Joe Cheng wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:15:28 -0500
> From: Joe Cheng <Jo...@LOBBY7.com>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: apps-xxx.xml vs. server.xml
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> As I understand it, Tomcat 3.3 uses apps-xxx.xml to configure contexts and
> configuring contexts via server.xml is only supported for backward
> compatibility.
>
> Tomcat 4.0 does not seem to support apps-xxx.xml at this time, however.  Are
> there plans to give 4.0 this capability?  In other words, is apps-xxx.xml
> the "new" way to do it across all versions of Tomcat, or only 3.x?

In 4.0.1 (and the upcoming 4.0.2 version), there is no support for this
sort of capability.  However, in the HEAD branch of Tomcat 4 (i.e. what is
created in the nightly builds), there is a very similar feature -- you can
see it in use if you download a recent nightly build and look in the
webapps directory at the way the "admin" and "manager" webapps are
processed.

Basically, you can take the contents of the <Context> element (and all of
its subelements), exactly as they would appear if you added them into
server.xml directly, and put them in a separate XML file.  Now, you can
deploy this XML file into the "webapps" directory, instead of the WAR or
the application directory itself, if you want to.  Tomcat will auto-deploy
based on the contents of this XML file (including finding the "real" web
application via the "docBase" attribute).

This functionality will be released at some future point in time as Tomcat
4.1, when this and a bunch of other new stuff is ready.

> Thanks-
> jmc

Craig