Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Paul Smith <Pa...@lawlex.com.au> on 2004/05/18 08:23:26 UTC

[vfs][Chainsaw]: Web start + external dependances + license=ouch

[cross posting to both lists, as I am hoping this would give me more chance
of someone knowing what to do here]

As discussed previously, I am keen to integrate log4j Chainsaw v2 and VFS,
to take advantage of VFS's features of transparency of where the files are
located. We're also using Java Web Start as a basis for deploy. To recap a
previous email, Web start requires that all jars used by the app are signed,
and all jars must be accessed during launched from a single code-base url
for security reasons (as far as I can tell from reading).

Fine, I can do that for all the Apache ones, but what do I do for the
external ones like JSch ?(listed here
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/vfs/download.html).

Theoretically I could download those jars, sign 'em, and upload them to the
apache servers where the other jars are... Except... I'm/We are not allowed
to host external jars on the Apache servers from what I've heard/read
before. (licensing issues).  Is that right?

So now I am in a catch-22, I am not allowed to host the external jars, and
can't access the jars from a separate URL code-base via Web Start.  So VFS
might be impossible to integrate into Chainsaw.

Anyone got any ideas?  JSch is a LGPL license, so not sure if that makes it
easier or harder to allow an Apache server to host the jar.

Should I post this somewhere else?

Help!

cheers,

Paul Smith

Re: [vfs][Chainsaw]: Web start + external dependances + license=ouch

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <im...@apache.org>.
Paul Smith wrote:

Cant say much about the licensing stuff, i am sure soneone else has more
knowledge on this story.

>So now I am in a catch-22, I am not allowed to host the external jars, and
>can't access the jars from a separate URL code-base via Web Start.  So VFS
>might be impossible to integrate into Chainsaw.

Why not integrate the possible jars thus the user could have http, ftp,
webdav and local.
Those users who would like to use smb or sftp could use a local Chainsaw
installation and put the needet jars in their classpath.
vfs doesnt need those libraries, it simply do not load the provider.

Even if not nice, anoter solution could be to assist the user to put
those jars manually into the java lib directory - then a webstart
application should be able to use them?

>So VFS might be impossible to integrate into Chainsaw.

Not using vfs might not solve the licensing problem - if there is a
licensing problem, you couldnt use these external libraries anyway.
However, i dont know much about WebStart so maybe you see a technical
reason why this could not work.

-- Mario

Re: [vfs][Chainsaw]: Web start + external dependances + license=ouch

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 08:23 AM 5/18/2004, Paul Smith wrote:
>[cross posting to both lists, as I am hoping this would give me more chance
>of someone knowing what to do here]
>
>As discussed previously, I am keen to integrate log4j Chainsaw v2 and VFS,
>to take advantage of VFS's features of transparency of where the files are
>located. We're also using Java Web Start as a basis for deploy. To recap a
>previous email, Web start requires that all jars used by the app are signed,
>and all jars must be accessed during launched from a single code-base url
>for security reasons (as far as I can tell from reading).
>
>Fine, I can do that for all the Apache ones, but what do I do for the
>external ones like JSch ?(listed here
>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/vfs/download.html).
>
>Theoretically I could download those jars, sign 'em, and upload them to the
>apache servers where the other jars are... Except... I'm/We are not allowed
>to host external jars on the Apache servers from what I've heard/read
>before. (licensing issues).  Is that right?

The ASF will not distribute GPLed or LGPLed code. This is a pretty
important rule. In case of breach, the board is likely to fire first and
talk later. Hosting BSD licensed code is OK.

--
Ceki Gülcü

Re: [vfs][Chainsaw]: Web start + external dependances + license=ouch

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.

--
Ceki Gülcü

RE: [vfs][Chainsaw]: Web start + external dependances + license=ouch

Posted by Tim Reilly <ti...@consultant.com>.
[Resending for log4j-dev list my original bounced/non-subscribed]

A quick but important correction... according to JSCH website:

 "JSch 0.0.* was released under the GNU LGPL license.  Later, we
 have switched
 over to a BSD-style license." --http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/LICENSE.txt

So it's BSD-style. LGPL and GPL are more ambiguous AIUI, which
may or might not have influenced the reponses you get.

RE: [vfs][Chainsaw]: Web start + external dependances + license=ouch