Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jan Englund <ja...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/15 09:20:33 UTC

Exchange 2003 And Spamassassin

Hi
We are running a Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003 mixed mode environment.
Since introducing Exchange 2003 servers we do not get any message
headers from the spamassassin relay sent to users on the Exchange 2003
box.

ive seen other people experiencing this but my question is if Exchange
2003 is supported by Spamassassin and if so if there is anyone that
has found a solution to this.

Thanks
Jan

Re: Exchange 2003 And Spamassassin

Posted by Richard Ozer <ro...@ois-online.com>.
I use SA as a border gateway to Exchange 5.5, 2000, and 2003 servers in
a dozen or so locations. I have no problem with headers or any other
aspect of spamassassin.  Exchange does not strip headers, however
Outlook and Outlook Express do!

But...

Are you using your 5.5 server as an SMTP bridgehead to your Exchange
2003 infrastructure?  If so, there lies your problem.  In many cases
(depending on configuration), the entire SMTP envelope will end up being
replaced with an X.400 address to accomodate internal site routing.
This is a total rewrite of the header and could be the cause of your
problem.  If you are using Exchange 5.5 as a gateway to an Exchange 2003
mail system, then the problem will go away once you finish your upgrade.

Also (just a semantics thing) Spamassassin is simply a tool to score
email. Your linux/unix MTA, likely using sendmail or postfix, is a
managed relay host consistent with all RFC's. It is not up to
Spamassassin to "support" Exchange or any other product except for Perl
perhaps.  Microsoft, on the other hand, has a ways to go on correctly
adhering to RFC's.  So the question should be, "does Exchange work
properly with Spamassassin?"

Am I nit-picky or what???

RO

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.
Jan

Exchange is stripping the headers off. No doubt theres a stting buried
somewhere where you can tell it not to, but I have seen this problem
before in Ex-2000  (for passing emails to a folder dor sa-learn to pick
up). Never found a solution, but then I'm not an exchange admin/user
so..probably something to do with group policies..

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Jan Englund wrote:
> Hi
> We are running a Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003 mixed mode environment.
> Since introducing Exchange 2003 servers we do not get any message
> headers from the spamassassin relay sent to users on the Exchange 2003
> box.
>
> ive seen other people experiencing this but my question is if Exchange
> 2003 is supported by Spamassassin and if so if there is anyone that
> has found a solution to this.
>
> Thanks
> Jan

the system manager.