Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de> on 2005/01/03 09:18:31 UTC

[Blog] JSF in Chains

Hi,

I just surfed to David Geary's Weblog to see
the current state of his Tiles effort.
(http://tinyurl.com/5x9bo)

But I saw another interessting issue
regarding Jakarta Commons Chain and
JSF. His Blog is visible at
http://jroller.com/page/dgeary

Has anyone subscribed to this lists
played with JSF(MyFaces) and Chains?
Feedback is very welcome ;)

Btw. I noticed that Shale also uses Chains.

Best regards
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Matthias Weßendorf

--
Matthias Weßendorf
Aechterhoek 18

RE: [Blog] JSF in Chains

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Sean and BaTien,

thanks for your comments!

I just saw that David added sniplets
to his blog, that is interessting for me ;)
http://jroller.com/page/dgeary

Sean, after I know more on chain and I need something
more... I will ask you. Thanks for that!

Regards,
Matthias

ml

I've since implemented it and it works great.  I can give you more of
the specifics if you're interested.

> Matthias Weßendorf

sean

Re: [Blog] JSF in Chains

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> Has anyone subscribed to this lists
> played with JSF(MyFaces) and Chains?
> Feedback is very welcome ;)

Matthias, I haven't done a lot with JSF and Chains yet, but I am
hoping to.  I have done some with Struts and Chains though.

Right now I'm using commons-chain in my "service layer" to handle
business logic.  I have a method called getDocument on my
ServiceFacade.  The getDocument method creates an empty document bean
and puts it in the chain context.  Then it looks up the getDocument
command and executes it.

Basically I can chain several pieces of logic associated with document
population together in my chain.  The specifics of the business logic
(ex. not all documents have certain information) are stashed in the
individual commands.  If we add new information to the document, we
just write up a new command and drop it in the chain.

I've also used chain to implement transactions with my connection pool
(since I am not using EJB.)  Here is a link to my initial discussion
on that: http://www.mail-archive.com/user@struts.apache.org/msg12423.html

I've since implemented it and it works great.  I can give you more of
the specifics if you're interested.

> Matthias Weßendorf

sean

Re: [Blog] JSF in Chains

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.
Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just surfed to David Geary's Weblog to see
>the current state of his Tiles effort.
>(http://tinyurl.com/5x9bo)
>
>But I saw another interessting issue
>regarding Jakarta Commons Chain and
>JSF. His Blog is visible at
>http://jroller.com/page/dgeary
>
>Has anyone subscribed to this lists
>played with JSF(MyFaces) and Chains?
>Feedback is very welcome ;)

Yes. Chain is a core technology we use to construct our Portal Service
Infrastructure (Psi). In essence, Psi uses the followings:

    1) Presentation engine: Jsf + Tiles (under myfaces :-) to show the
readiness of the technology). All fragments are dynamic including portal
tabs, authorized portlets, page meta data for search engine, etc.
    2) Struts Shale is currently used as servlet filter and will be used
as an application controller at later stage.
    3) The flow between software layers and commands within each
software container is based on commons-chain request/response CoR.
Service configurations are done with Jsf and Spring IoC.
    4) The front controller of each software container is a chain
catalog (for simple one) based on chain Agility or a dedicated
controller a la Struts for complicated one (portal processor that
dispatchs request to appropriate backend services, and assures the
consistency between BOs and Jsf managed beans plus setting Jsf
navigation outcome)
    5) PortletContainer based on Pluto which is wrapped with CoR for the
request/response framework.
    6) Spring-Hibernate for data access, wrapped with CoR under
request/response framework.

The first demonstration will be available by tomorrow from
http://myportal.myb2cb2b.com
Happy New Year :-)

BaTien
DBGROUPS