Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org> on 2004/07/02 17:26:29 UTC

FAQ entry 2.1 ...generate one pdf-file out of the whole site

http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#PDF-output states
2.1. How can I generate one pdf-file out of the whole site or selected
pages of the site?

For me only the first part of the question has been answered!
...but what about /selected pages of the site/?
Should I assume that I have to create sub-site.xml to create only the
select pages?

TIA
thorsten
--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>
  <country>Spain</country>
  <@m...@mail>
  <@cocoon-WIKI>
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Scherler
</...@cocoon-WIKI>
  <acronymfinder>
http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Find=Find&Acronym=
  </acronymfinder>
  <motto>
    "My task which I am trying to achieve is,
     by the power of the written word,
     [...] to make you see."
     *Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>
</thorsten>

Re: FAQ entry 2.1 ...generate one pdf-file out of the whole site

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Clay Leeds wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2004, at 10:03 AM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
>
>> We should consider adding a feature that allows people to do this more
>> easily.  I'm not sure exactly how we'd configure it though.
>

> Perhaps another attribute (@wholesite) could be placed in site.xml to
> govern this (default wholesite="true" since it would be presumed that
> all links would be placed in the whole site HTML/PDF file, but links
> would be turned OFF):

It would also be nice to generate more than one aggregate PDF.  For
example, one for each tab.  Or each top-level node in site.xml.  Or some
user-defined grouping.  And still turn on and off individual nodes
like you suggest.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.splike.com : programming

Re: FAQ entry 2.1 ...generate one pdf-file out of the whole site

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Jul 2, 2004, at 10:03 AM, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> We should consider adding a feature that allows people to do this more
> easily.  I'm not sure exactly how we'd configure it though.

Perhaps another attribute (@wholesite) could be placed in site.xml to
govern this (default wholesite="true" since it would be presumed that
all links would be placed in the whole site HTML/PDF file, but links
would be turned OFF):

<site label="FOP" href="" xmlns="http://apache.org/forrest/linkmap/1.0"
tab="home">
   <about label="About">
     <index label="Introduction" href="index.html"/>
     <more label="More Stuff" href="more.html" wholesite="false"/>
       <!-- 'hide' More Stuff -->
   </about>
   <!-- .. -->
   <development label="Development" href="dev/" tab="development">
     <introduction label="About">
       <basics label="Basics" href="index.html"/>
     </introduction>

     <design label="Design">
       <basics label="Resolved" href="site:design/"/>
       <unresolved label="Unresolved (Wiki)"
href="http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?FOPProjectPages"/>
       <svg label="SVG" href="svg.html"/>
       <extensions label="Extensions" href="extensions.html"/>
     </design>

     <whatnot label="What Not" wholesite="false">
       <!-- 'hide' contents of What Not section -->
       <index label="Introduction" href="index.html" wholesite="true"/>
         <!-- although What Not tab is hidden -->
         <!-- this enables What Not tab, but -->
         <!-- only shows this item -->
       <evenmore label="Even More Stuff" href="evenmore.html"/>
       <stillmore label="Still More Stuff" href="stillmore.html"/>
       <ridiculouslymore label="Did I Mention Even More Stuff"
href="ridiculouslymore.html"/>
     </whatnot >

   </development>

I purposely did not call this attribute 'wholesitepdf', as it could
also be used for Whole Site HTML as well. We could go further, to use
attribute values such as:
- wholesite="nopdf"
- wholesite="nohtml"
- wholesite="nowherenohow"
- wholesite="none"

(Obviously, the ability to hide a section, but then enable one item in
a section could be discussed...)

Web Maestro Clay

Re: FAQ entry 2.1 ...generate one pdf-file out of the whole site

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Scherler, Thorsten wrote:
> http://forrest.apache.org/faq.html#PDF-output states
> 2.1. How can I generate one pdf-file out of the whole site or selected
> pages of the site?
>
> For me only the first part of the question has been answered!
> ...but what about /selected pages of the site/?
> Should I assume that I have to create sub-site.xml to create only the
> select pages?
>
> TIA
> thorsten

You're right, the FAQ is incomplete.  You have to customize the forrest
sitemap to create other aggregate PDFs.  Or create a temporary site.xml
with just the selected pages and do a "whole site" of those.