Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Neo Anderson <ne...@googlemail.com> on 2008/05/20 15:02:29 UTC

Gadgets Drag and drop

Is any one familiar with Drag and Drop of Gadgets?

Any one tried this?

Re: Gadgets Drag and drop

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
<yoda voice>
There is no try, there is only do
<yoda voice>

Setting up drag and drop is 'very easy' (depending on your level of
experience with such things of course). But as mentioned before not
really something that belongs on a shindig development list (which is
all about making the opensocial infrastructure, not general front end
development)

For instance if you took http://github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/wikis/draggable
  You would just create a div around the gadgets (thats the
'id_of_element' element), set the handle to your 'id_of_title_bar'
element, and create the draggable ... the same pretty much goes for
jQuery, dojo, etc.

The question of 'how to make drag and dropable gadgets' really is just
a question of 'how to make a element on the page drag and droppable',
the gadgets don't add any extra complexity to this, so it is just a
generic javascript question.

I would suggest using the scriptaculous / jquery / dojo forums and
mailing lists for finding out how to do this, since i think many of us
would appreciate it if we kept this to a shindig related developers
list, and not turn it into a 'general javascript help' list :)

	-- Chris

Re: Gadgets Drag and drop

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hmm,

There are parts of if that will work standalone, like the /flat and
/widgets parts, but the persistence service and data service sdata
does have bindings to the whole of the Sakai code base, which is about
2M lines of code. Its going to be a little hard to detach from that
code base since it manages sessions, authZ, groups, announcements,
authentication etc  and all the other services.

So, if you have about 2G of disk free on a box with about 2G of ram 1
for eclipse, 1 for tomcat, and a few hours free, then you could go for
a full build, but thats not for the lighthearted, and it *will* be
painful... it takes at least 30 minutes to build from scratch.

At the moment, I dont have time to do a cut down build, of sdata ontop
of Jackrabbit only, but it might be possible in July if the client
side code does look interesting.

The persistence store in /flat and /widgets could relatively easily be
replaced by anything that will do  PUT and GET and multipart POST

Bear in mind, that this does *not* contain a gadget server or open
social at the moment and is only a portal layout manager with its own
concept of widget (an abstraction of gadget) within which gadgets can
be placed.

If you want more information, one of the developers has been keeping a
blog on the work
http://nicolaasmatthijs.wordpress.com/2008/04/15/flexible-dashboard-layout/

Ian

Re: Gadgets Drag and drop

Posted by Tyrell Perera <ty...@wso2.com>.

Ian Boston wrote:
| Ok, so the response was....
| yes, it will take about a week to get it though our production
| testing, but we cant to anything until July
|
| Will bring non operational details back to the list.
| Ian
|
| 2008/6/9 Tyrell Perera <ty...@wso2.com>:
| Please keep the conversation in-list (at least for the sake of archiving).
|
| The container plays a vital role in adoption too. This thread answered
| some of the questions I had.
|
| thanks,
| Tyrell
|

| Ian Boston wrote:
| | Yes,.... taking this off list as its not really directly relevant to
| | shindig dev. (please shout at me if thats not right,  anyone)
| |
| | Ian
| |
| | 2008/6/9 Neo Anderson <ne...@googlemail.com>:
| |> Can I see a demo?
| |>
| |> When will you move it to jQuery? How much time will it take?

University... we

https://saffron.caret.cam.ac.uk/svn/projects/MyCamToolsAlpha/trunk/

https://saffron.caret.cam.ac.uk/svn/projects/MyCamToolsAlpha/trunk/

https://saffron.caret.cam.ac.uk/svn/projects/MyCamToolsAlpha/trunk/

https://saffron.caret.cam.ac.uk/svn/projects/MyCamToolsAlpha/trunk/

| easier.

| |

- --

Re: Gadgets Drag and drop

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Ok, so the response was....

Re: Gadgets Drag and drop

Posted by Tyrell Perera <ty...@wso2.com>.

Ian Boston wrote:
| Yes,.... taking this off list as its not really directly relevant to
| shindig dev. (please shout at me if thats not right,  anyone)
|
| Ian
|
| 2008/6/9 Neo Anderson <ne...@googlemail.com>:
|> Can I see a demo?
|>
|> When will you move it to jQuery? How much time will it take?
|>

|> On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
|>
|>> Yes the current impl is extJS based, but we are moving it to jQuery.
|>> Ian

|>> tried

|>> eg
|>> of