Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Apache Software Foundation <hu...@Apache.Org> on 2001/09/21 20:22:07 UTC

FW: Apache Web Server for Windows CE

Acked.

----- Forwarded message from Falle Rainer <Ra...@khe.siemens.de> -----

From: Falle Rainer <Ra...@khe.siemens.de>
To: human-response@Apache.Org
Subject: Apache Web Server for Windows CE
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:48:08 +0200

Dear Sirs,

I am interested in a port of the Apache Web Server for Windows CE.

Currently we are using the Apache Web Server Version 1.3.20 with the
PHP- Extension for one of our projects.  The Web- Server is running on
a standard desktop PC (OS: Win98, Win200 or WinNT). This PC is
connected to a smart device, which is used for facility management,
via a serial link.

In our next release we want to port the web- server functionality to
the smart- device. This device comes with Windows CE.

I would appreciate if you could provide me with information if there
is already a port for Windows CE available.

Best Regards

SIEMENS		Siemens Gebäudesicherheit
				GmbH & Co. oHG
			SGS S AC
			Siemensallee 84
			76187 Karlsruhe

			Tel.:	+49 (0)721 595 5286
Rainer Falle		Fax:	+49 (0)721 595 3289
Development		mailto:rainer.falle@khe.siemens.de
<ma...@khe.siemens.de>

----- End forwarded message -----

--
#ken	P-)}

I had resent, to dev@apr as well.  Thanks for catching.

Re: Apache Web Server for Windows CE

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
> From: Falle Rainer <Ra...@khe.siemens.de>
> To: human-response@Apache.Org
> Subject: Apache Web Server for Windows CE
> Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:48:08 +0200
>
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I am interested in a port of the Apache Web Server for Windows CE.
>
> Currently we are using the Apache Web Server Version 1.3.20 with the
> PHP- Extension for one of our projects.  The Web- Server is running on
> a standard desktop PC (OS: Win98, Win200 or WinNT). This PC is
> connected to a smart device, which is used for facility management,
> via a serial link.
>
> In our next release we want to port the web- server functionality to
> the smart- device. This device comes with Windows CE.

Depending on your timetable, I (personally) would discourage you from
focusing on 1.3.20 - as it is not nearly as robust as the Apache2.0+APR
model for porting and compatibility.

IBM has already released betas of several products based on 2.0 the
Apache 2.0 alpha and beta development cycle (none Win32 that I'm aware of.)
It's grown into a fairly stable codebase, with minor api changes happening
weekly based on identified shortcomings and security weaknesses.

> I would appreciate if you could provide me with information if there
> is already a port for Windows CE available.

Not that I am aware of.  Using the 2.0 model (php is already ported to
the 2.0 series) you need to simply focus on the Apache Portability
Runtime (APR), and specific customizations to the MPM (multiprocessing
module).  The rest of the server is (or shortly will be) entirely
leveraged on the APR library.

If this avenue interests you, we would encourage you to subscribe to
the dev@apr.apache.org mailing list (mailto:dev-subscribe@apr.apache.org)
We would certainly entertain any patches that add WinCE support to APR.
Any MPM discussions should be posted to the dev@httpd.apache.org list
(mailto:dev-subscribe@httpd.apache.org)

Regards,

Bill

Re: Apache Web Server for Windows CE

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: FW: Apache Web Server for Windows CE

Posted by Stipe Tolj <to...@wapme-systems.de>.
> ----- Forwarded message from Falle Rainer <Ra...@khe.siemens.de> -----
>
> From: Falle Rainer <Ra...@khe.siemens.de>
> To: human-response@Apache.Org
> Subject: Apache Web Server for Windows CE
> Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:48:08 +0200
>
> Dear Sirs,
>
> I am interested in a port of the Apache Web Server for Windows CE.
>
> Currently we are using the Apache Web Server Version 1.3.20 with the
> PHP- Extension for one of our projects.  The Web- Server is running on
> a standard desktop PC (OS: Win98, Win200 or WinNT). This PC is
> connected to a smart device, which is used for facility management,
> via a serial link.
>
> In our next release we want to port the web- server functionality to
> the smart- device. This device comes with Windows CE.
>
> I would appreciate if you could provide me with information if there
> is already a port for Windows CE available.

It's been in my mind -- at least as one application using the Cygwin
POSIX.1 layer for Win32.

There have been attempts to port (basicly using a cross-compiler to
the ARM platform) Cywin 1.x to Windows CE. If this is done you may use
the Apache 1.3 port for Cygwin which is commited to the official
sources to build a working Apache on Windows CE.

have been successfull Windows CE cross-compiles. If so, I may assist
to get Apache running on that Cygwin version.

Regards,
Stipe

Stipe Tolj
Department Management