Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steffen Heil <li...@steffen-heil.de> on 2010/03/19 19:19:25 UTC

Tomcat 7

Hi

I know (from this list) that there is work going on for tomcat7.
However it is not even listed on the homepage as alpha/beta.

Can someone comment on the status of development for tomcat 7 and some
propable timeframe (in years or months) for a beta or stable version?

Note: I don't expect precise answers as I know this is hard to tell.
I am just searching for something like 'propably end of this year' or 'not
before 2012' or such...

And: How usable are the current snapshots?

It's all about what to use to start new development: tomcat 6 or tomcat 7?
For an application that won't make into production until mid 2011 and will
need something like comet connections - which I understand will follow a
common standard under tomcat 7?

Regards,
  Steffen

Re: Tomcat 7

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 19/03/2010 18:19, Steffen Heil wrote:
> Hi
>
> I know (from this list) that there is work going on for tomcat7.
> However it is not even listed on the homepage as alpha/beta.

That is because there hasn't been a release yet.

> Can someone comment on the status of development for tomcat 7 and some
> propable timeframe (in years or months) for a beta or stable version?

Hopefully weeks. Filip has the async timeouts left to finish and then
we'll need to make sure the Servlet 3.0 TCK passes. With those hurdles
out of the way there will be a release.

> Note: I don't expect precise answers as I know this is hard to tell.
> I am just searching for something like 'propably end of this year' or 'not
> before 2012' or such...
>
> And: How usable are the current snapshots?

It should be very usable. The JSP 2.2 and EL 2.2 TCKs both pass. As long
as you don't want to use the new Servlet 3.0 async features, you should
be fine.

> It's all about what to use to start new development: tomcat 6 or tomcat 7?
> For an application that won't make into production until mid 2011 and will
> need something like comet connections - which I understand will follow a
> common standard under tomcat 7?

I'd go with 7. Note the Comet does more than Servlet 3.0 async does. You
may decide to stick with Comet.

HTH,

Mark