Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by John Mudd <jo...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/29 03:26:36 UTC

Fwd: unexpected result from HttpClient Post

I used HttpClient to Post to a web page.  The ResponseBody though is
the original web page, almost as if I did a Get instead of a Post.
The field I populated is populated in the HTML.  It's as if I manually
went to the web page, populated the field and didn't hit Enter or
press the Submit button.  Does this sound at all familiar?

Here's my Jython code.

client = HttpClient()
postMethod = PostMethod('http://xyz.com')
postMethod.addParameter('fieldName', '2174131320')
statusCode = client.executeMethod(postMethod)
assert statusCode == HttpStatus.SC_OK
print getResponseBodyAsString()

John

Re: Fwd: unexpected result from HttpClient Post

Posted by Doug Lochart <dl...@gmail.com>.
Because not everyone uses HttpClient in the way that you wanted to use it.
I myself am using HttpComponents (core) and I am not writing a testing
application.

But thanks for the live headers tip ... that will prove to be invaluable.

Doug

On 8/29/06, John Mudd <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks.  I installed Live Http Headers in Firefox so now I can see the
> exact headers as I go through the site manually.  Hmm, not so easy to
> get a trace to see what HttpClient is sending...
>
> Switched to HttpUnit.  Wow, so easy, I'm done.  Why would anyone use
> HttpClient when HttpUnit is available?
>
> John
>

> On 8/29/06, Roland Weber <RO...@de.ibm.com> wrote:
> > Hello John,
> >
> > > I used HttpClient to Post to a web page.  The ResponseBody though is
> > > the original web page, almost as if I did a Get instead of a Post.
> > > The field I populated is populated in the HTML.  It's as if I manually
> > > went to the web page, populated the field and didn't hit Enter or
> > > press the Submit button.  Does this sound at all familiar?
> > >
> > > Here's my Jython code.
> > >
> > > client = HttpClient()
> > > postMethod = PostMethod('http://xyz.com')
> > > postMethod.addParameter('fieldName', '2174131320')
> > > statusCode = client.executeMethod(postMethod)
> > > assert statusCode == HttpStatus.SC_OK
> > > print getResponseBodyAsString()
> >
> > Posting forms is not as easy as you seem to think.
> > Please follow the instructions in the primer:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/ForAbsoluteBeginners
> >
> > hope that helps,
> >   Roland

What profits a man if he gains the whole world yet loses his soul?

Re: Fwd: unexpected result from HttpClient Post

Posted by John Mudd <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roland Weber <RO...@de.ibm.com>.
Hello John,