Posted to user@drill.apache.org by "Vignesh K." <vi...@mobiusservices.com> on 2017/04/17 13:43:23 UTC

Windows system Initiation Error

Hi Team,

     I started to use Apache Drill recently. Initially I was running
through an Linux system and everything was working fine. But when I try
to run through a window system by following the steps in the site
_https://drill.apache.org/docs/drill-in-10-minutes/_ I faced issues
stating Local UDF directory must exist.

     I tried changing drill.exec.udf.directory.local:"C:\\UDF" but then
too there was a backward slash in the beginning "\C:\\UDF" so it still
showed the error.

     Could you guys please let me know what is the issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Vignesh K

Re: Windows system Initiation Error

Posted by Kunal Khatua <kk...@mapr.com>.
I am able to log into a remote Linux-based Drillbit using SQLLine with no issues.

C:\drill\drill-1.10.0-SNAPSHOT\bin>sqlline.bat -u "jdbc:drill:zk=10.10.120.160:2181"
DRILL_ARGS - " -u jdbc:drill:zk=10.10.120.160:2181"
HADOOP_HOME not detected...
HBASE_HOME not detected...
Calculating Drill classpath...
apache drill 1.10.0-SNAPSHOT
"drill baby drill"
0: jdbc:drill:zk=10.10.120.160:5181>show databases;
+---------------------+
|     SCHEMA_NAME     |
+---------------------+
| INFORMATION_SCHEMA  |
| cp.default          |
| dfs.default         |
| dfs.drill2517       |
| dfs.parquet         |
| dfs.root            |
| dfs.tmp             |
| lfs.default         |
| lfs.profiles        |
| lfs.root            |
| lfs.tmp             |
| sys                 |
+---------------------+
11 rows selected (0.328 seconds)
Which JDBC business tool are you using? Could you try connecting using SQuirreL ? That worked for me as well.

Kunal

________________________________
Posted by Abhishek Girish <ag...@apache.org>.
@David, the warning "Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: ignoring
option MaxPermSize=512M; support was removed in 8.0" might be indicative of
something here. Java 8 moved away from PermGen to MetaSpace. So I'm
guessing there could be mismatch of Java versions (Drill build + env of
Drill server + env of Drill client).

I'm not an expert on this, but a simple suggestion - could you match Java
versions on the client and server (say all to JDK 8), rebuild Drill if
necessary and give it another try?

Some references:
[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27131165/what-is-the-difference-between-permgen-and-metaspace

[2] https://dzone.com/articles/java-8-permgen-metaspace
[2]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31455644/should-i-set-a-maxmetaspacesize/31463972#31463972

Posted by Abhishek Girish <ag...@apache.org>.
Could you try bumping up the PermGen space [1]? On Windows, since the
drill-env.sh file doesn't take effect, you might need to set an env

Posted by "Lee, David" <Da...@blackrock.com>.
Drill embedded runs fine..

Posted by Abhishek Girish <ag...@apache.org>.
Thanks for that, David.

Regarding the JDBC issue, I'm not able to reproduce it. Drill comes up fine
in embedded mode. Can you share more details?

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM Lee, David <Da...@blackrock.com> wrote:

> This is what I use for Drill 1.9 and Drill 1.10
>
> drill.exec: {
>   cluster-id: "drillbits1",
>   zk.connect: "localhost:2181",
>   udf.directory.root: "/C:/Temp/"
> }
>
> However, Drill 1.10 has other problems..
>
> The drill-jdbc-all-1.10.0.jar doesn’t work for me and I think I get some
> sort of Java memory error. I had to use the 1.9 Jar with Drill 1.10..

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 8:17 AM Vignesh K. <vi...@mobiusservices.com>> wrote:

Hi Team,

    I started to use Apache Drill recently. Initially I was running through an Linux system and everything was working fine. But when I try to run through a window system by following the steps in the site https://drill.apache.org/docs/drill-in-10-minutes/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__drill.apache.org_docs_drill-2Din-2D10-2Dminutes_&d=DwMFaQ&c=zUO0BtkCe66yJvAZ4cAvZg&r=SpeiLeBTifecUrj1SErsTRw4nAqzMxT043sp_gndNeI&m=3XDIRQvkUebJWZIx2QprREJ7dVmxKKh70tj7KWfdlFg&s=9i3U6ENSJMWVZ1W2eL1GeoQ5mciFjde6uvqPJYN3eI4&e=> I faced issues stating Local UDF directory must exist.

Posted by Abhishek Girish <ag...@apache.org>.