Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org> on 2018/04/03 14:12:32 UTC

[RESULT][VOTE]: Move from legacy asf git to Apache GitBox

result vote never sent for this, closing it out.

With 6 positive votes (4 binding, 2 non binding), and zero negative votes
the vote to move to Apache GitBox for core development passes. I'll submit
the request and keep everyone updated as INFRA moves us over

-Jake

Binding positive votes:
Randy Abernethy
Jake Farrell
James King
Aki Sukegawa

Non Binding positive votes:
Duru Can Celasun
Wang Xin

Re: [RESULT][VOTE]: Move from legacy asf git to Apache GitBox

Posted by "James E. King, III" <jk...@apache.org>.
The boost project handles release notes (major changes, breaking changes,
and issue fixed) by requiring each repository maintainer to modify a shared
documentation file (using github).  It isn't perfect but it allows for the
important bugfixes and breaking changes to be identified.  In general
people are pretty good at spotting breaking changes here and requiring pull
requests to update the language-specific README.md file with breaking
changes.  If you look at the lib/perl/README.md file for example I made
breaking changes in 0.10.0 and 0.11.0 however I also provided simple
workaround that allow someone to write thrift code that works with older or
newer thrift libraries (for projects in transition, this is typically
useful).  It was my assumption that the language-specific readme files were
sufficient to communicate breaking changes.

On the issue of golang, the golang project only supports one major release
back, so right now 1.10 is current and 1.9 is supported, but 1.8 is no
longer supported.  We should follow suit, and that means we don't need the
1.6 to 1.7 context conversion stuff.  If folks still need 1.6 or 1.7
support they can run an already-released version of thrift, and begin
making plans to modernize their go and their thrift in a future release.

It looks like the go build issue has been resolved.

Thanks,

Jim

Posted by Duru Can Celasun <dc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Allen George <al...@gmail.com>.
The only thing to watch out for is that the default message is the
*union* of all individual commit messages, so if you blindly hit
“Squash and Merge” you’ll get an enormous, poorly-formatted commit
message.

I *think* one of my colleagues wrote a chrome plugin that resets the
message textbook to empty, but I’m unsure. I can check up on that.

Allen

Posted by "James E. King, III" <jk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Allen George <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jim,

1. Totally OK with not requiring a “client” tag on check-in. Since
thrift has a very organized directory structure I could write a script
that takes two commits and spits out something like:

rs:
<sha>: <message>
<sha>: <message>

py:
<sha>: <message>

It’s not as nice as a CHANGES file, but at least people could find the
client they’re interested in and see what commits touched it.

2. I agree with skipping JIRAs for comments, docs, website or build
changes. In addition, it would be good to move the thrift website into
github since it lowers the barrier of making changes.

3. Does “squash and merge” not allow us to change the commit message?
We use GitHub at work, and I was always able to change the commit
message just before squashing.

4. This is tough: a lot of people don’t have both GH *and* apache
creds, so it makes it harder for them to submit one-off fixes. Maybe
we should just create the ticket for them and put it in the
description?

Best,
Allen

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.
website is also out of date.

SHA-1: 327ebb6c2b6df8bf075da02ef45a2a034e9b79ba

Posted by Jens Geyer <je...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by "James E. King, III" <jk...@apache.org>.
Great!

Posted by Duru Can Celasun <dc...@apache.org>.