Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Sanjiv Jivan <sa...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/12 16:10:59 UTC

spreadsheet with form elements getting corrupt with poi 3.0

I am generating a spareadsheet by reading off a template excel spreadsheet
that has macro's and form elements  like buttons, labels etc and then adding
data to the spreasdheet with POI. This was working well with POI-2.5.1 but I
tried to upgrade to the dev build of POI-3 and the generated spreadsheet
gets corrupt and when excel tries to fix it, all the form elements, cell
colors etc are missing.

Do I have to make any code or other changes with POI 3 for this to work? The
reason I want to upgrade to POI 3 is for performance improvements.

Thanks,
Sanjiv

Re: spreadsheet with form elements getting corrupt with poi 3.0

Posted by Sanjiv Jivan <sa...@gmail.com>.
Great, the issue seems to be fixed as the spreadsheet is generating fine
with the latest nightly build. I'm now going to profile and compare the
2.5.1 and 3.0 versions with my app that generates a decent size spreadsheet
( 6000 rows, 15 columns).

Any insight on what performance improvements were made from 2.5.1 to 3.0?
Can we expect a lower memory footprint or any leak fixes? To me CPU time
during excel generation is not as important as the memory footprint. As I
explained in a previous mail, we need to be able to handle several
concurrent downloads of generated spreadsheets ( 6K rows) and if the memory
footprint of each generation is ~ 300 MB (which is close to what I was
observing) , this limits the number of concurrent downloads to 4 or 5 which
isnt very scalable.

I have added queued execution of excel generation to control the maximum
number of concurrent downloads, but I still would like to see a lower memory
footprint / leak fixes with 3.0.

Thanks,
Sanjiv

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.

Posted by Sanjiv Jivan <sa...@gmail.com>.
I used the jar
http://www.wmwweb.com/apache/jakarta/poi/dev/bin/poi-bin-3.0-alpha3-20061212.zip

Do you think the fix was made after Dec 12th, 06? If so, are nightly builds

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
Hi,