Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Greg Steuck <gr...@nest.cx> on 2002/09/16 20:35:52 UTC

serviceable vs composable

Hello folks,

I've been around this block for a year now but there are still
regrettable blanks in my understanding of some basic Avalon concepts.
Namely, is there a place where I can find out why we have both
Composable+ComponentManager and Serviceable+ServiceManager? I don't
see any conceptual difference between them. (and their javadocs seem
to be copy/paste/search/replace replicas of each other)

Thanks
Greg

Re: serviceable vs composable

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Greg Steuck wrote:

>Hello folks,
>
>I've been around this block for a year now but there are still
>regrettable blanks in my understanding of some basic Avalon concepts.
>Namely, is there a place where I can find out why we have both
>Composable+ComponentManager and Serviceable+ServiceManager? I don't
>see any conceptual difference between them. (and their javadocs seem
>to be copy/paste/search/replace replicas of each other)

Greg:

The conceptual difference concerns the relationship to the Component
interface.  Under the ComponentManager, any "component" supplied by the
manager must implement (or appear to implement) the Component interface.
 Under the ServiceManager, a "component" is a java.lang.Object.  This
has an signficant impact on the usability of the Avalon Framework -
business systems that exist can be managed as services provided by a
ServiceManager. Other "component" can declare depedencies on non-Avalon
"components".

Cheers, Steve.

>Thanks
>Greg
>
>--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: serviceable vs composable

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Greg,

The newer ServiceManager returns Object on lookup whereas
ComponentManager returns Component which is deprecated.

- Paul

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Greg Steuck wrote:

>     Berin> Serviceable replaces Composable.
>     Berin> The only reason to mix and match is for compatibility with
>     Berin> older components.
>
> Now it makes perfect sense. Any plans to update
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/api/? I was looking there, but never
> bothered to rebuild javadocs from -current source.
>
> Thanks
> Greg
>
> P.S. Berin, your reply arrived into my mailbox ahead of the copy of my
> question, you sure you didn't attend any mind reading courses
> recently?

:)

Nope.  I just got it before you did. ;P

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: serviceable vs composable

Posted by Greg Steuck <gr...@nest.cx>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Greg Steuck wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I've been around this block for a year now but there are still
> regrettable blanks in my understanding of some basic Avalon concepts.
> Namely, is there a place where I can find out why we have both
> Composable+ComponentManager and Serviceable+ServiceManager? I don't
> see any conceptual difference between them. (and their javadocs seem
> to be copy/paste/search/replace replicas of each other)

Serviceable replaces Composable.

The only reason to mix and match is for compatibility with older
components.