Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/04/21 14:56:35 UTC

Core spec checkin

Ok, I've taken what we've talked about, poured it into an HTML doc and
checked it into the source tree. It's still not as far as it needs to
be... For example the task reflection discussion isn't as far as we've
discussed here. But I wanted to get this checked in now that I'm back to
a modem and pick up mail and see what's happened in the last day and a
half.

Comments please...

.duncan

Re: Core spec checkin

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
> Ok, I've taken what we've talked about, poured it into an HTML doc and
> checked it into the source tree. It's still not as far as it needs to
> be... For example the task reflection discussion isn't as far as we've
> discussed here. But I wanted to get this checked in now that I'm back to
> a modem and pick up mail and see what's happened in the last day and a
> half.
>
> Comments please...

Wow.. Just scanned the list... Lots of action. I'm sifting through right
now.. Will start replying in a bit.

.duncan

Re: Core spec checkin

Posted by Vitaly Stulsky <vi...@yahoo.com>.
I kept silence during discussion, cause I've been busy during
this period. I want to comment your specification now.

Design goals.
=========
Devide all goals on high priority and lower priority.
High priority goals concern on user.

Simplicity
Understandability
Extensibility
+ Efficiency.
+ Interoperability
+ Reliability
+ Consistency

Lower priority aims concern on developer and development process.
+ Flexibility
+ Maintainability
+ Portability
+ Testability

Efficiency
=======
Program run utilizing all resources in an efficient way with little or
no influence on overall performance. Also it will offer the potential
for increased effectiveness of those resources.

Interoperability
==========
Has the ability to work with many Java compilers as well with
third-party vendor software.

Reliability
=======
Has high level of reliability.

Consistency
========
The look and behavior of the program will be consistent with Java
industry-leading products.

Flexibility
=======
Product has high flexibility level. All external libraries can be easily changed
on
new or updated versions.

Maintainability
==========
Easy to maintain and build.

Portability
=======
Can be easily ported on new Java platform.

Testability
=======
Easy to verify that the code works correctly.

TARGETS
========
In the specification you defined target dependencies. Should
we insert here or anywhere else information about file
dependencies?

TASK JAR FILE
=============
Question: Should we say that tasks belong in a JAR file with the .tsk extension?
Answer: I think it isn't necessary. In the next section you clear indentified
where
this JAR files must be stored. I think it is enough.

ANT PROPERTIES
USER PROPERTIES
We have too levels of properties. I think it's useful too add third one:
project.properties.
This file can be located directly to the project basedir directory.
In this file will be convinient to store project related inforamtion (names,
pathes, tunings).
This file has highest priority than user.properties.

This is all I wanted to say right now. Will be back for further comments ...

Vitaly

http://im.yahoo.com