Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2001/11/27 13:16:54 UTC

[OT] Fwd: Java superset with static compilation & Thread alternative FYI

I thought this may prove interesting to some.

Subject: [Isolate] Java superset with static compilation & Thread alternative
FYI
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:20:59 -0500
From: Pete Soper <ps...@pjs.East.Sun.COM>
To: isolate@altair.cs.oswego.edu

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 13:57:37 +0100
From: "C. van Reeuwijk" <C....@its.tudelft.nl>
To: Java-for-cse@mailer.csit.fsu.edu,
Javagrandeforum@mailer.csit.fsu.edu
Subject: [Java-for-cse] [Announce] Timber 1.6, a Spar/Java compiler,
available

Hello everyone,

We are happy to announce the release of version 1.6 of the Timber
compiler, our compiler for a superset of Java.

The Timber compiler implements Spar/Java, a superset of Java with
additional language constructs for high-performance computation. The
additions include support for data parallelism and task parallelism,
tuples, multi-dimensional arrays, generic classes and interfaces through
templates, complex numbers, and subscript operator overloading.

Timber is implemented as a static whole-program compiler, using a
standard
C++ compiler to generate machine code. For now only Gnu C compilers are
supported, but that is mainly a restriction in our configuration system.
We plan to support other compilers in the future.

The Spar language extensions are only supported for source files with
the extension .spar.  For source files with the extension .java or .jav,
the Timber compiler behaves like a standard Java compiler (on the Jacks
validation suite it scores slightly better(!) than Sun's Java 2 JDK
1.4 beta 2 compiler). The main restrictions are (a) no support for
dynamic
class loading (because we do static whole-program compilation), and
(b) no support for threads (because we provide our own parallelization
constructs).

Since the compiler uses well-defined and accessible internal data
structures, we believe that it is also very suitable as an experimental
compiler.

The compiler supports data parallel and task parallel programming, but
integration with parallel communication libraries (PVM and MPI) is not
yet completed. That is, we have a working parallelizing compiler on our
systems, but configuration on other systems requires detailed knowledge
of the compiler. We are working on this issue; for the moment our public
releases of the compiler do not officially support parallelization.

Timber is released under the Gnu Public License (GPL), and is available
for downloading from the Timber website:

<http://www.pds.twi.tudelft.nl/timber/downloading.html>.

The Timber compiler has been designed to be portable, but it has mainly
been tested on recent Debian i386 Linux systems.  It requires two
external
packages: a recent version of Tm, the template manager; and Kaffe
version
1.0.6. Both can be downloaded from the page mentioned above.

- --
Kees van Reeuwijk, Delft University of Technology
http://www.pds.twi.tudelft.nl/~reeuwijk

Cheers,

Pete