Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org> on 2023/10/16 16:26:03 UTC

Add support for nanosecond datetime types

Hi everyone,

I just created a PR to add support for:

   - timestamp-nanos
   - local-timestamp-nanos

Let me know what you think: https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/2554 Looking
forward to your input!

Kind regards,
Fokko

Re: Add support for nanosecond datetime types

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 18, 2023 at 10:28 AM Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hey Martin,
>
> Thanks for the feedback, we got off the wrong foot here.
>
> Please don't treat me differently than anyone else, but please don't close
> any PRs without giving an explanation, that doesn't look nice on the

I would not close it! I haven't done it in the past so far. Maybe because I
have not seen anything like this before.
But I really don't want it being merged without a proper proposal and
discussion!
As I said earlier - changes in the specifications are not something minor
that should be made without a discussion in the mailing list and proper
description in the Jira ticket and/or the PR!
The current approach is disrespectful to the others who spare their time on
the project!

> community. I agree that I jumped the gun a bit on the spec change, but it
> seemed to me such an obvious one to add. It is nothing new or something
> controversial.

Agreed! But no one asked for it for more than 10 years, so it is not that
obvious!

> Lastly, my intentions are good, and would love to get your input on the
> spec change.

I am not against the new feature! I am sure technically it is well
thought out!
I just don't like seeing empty ticket/PR descriptions! If you don't have
time (or don't see a reason) to write them then I see no reason to waste my
time!

Regards,
Martin

Posted by Fokko Driesprong <fo...@apache.org>.