Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2005/09/28 00:03:59 UTC

QuickStart Tutorials -- Anyone reading them?

I'm curious how many people have seen the Quick Start tutorials and
what people's thoughts are about them?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: QuickStart Tutorials -- Anyone reading them?

Posted by Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com>.

--- Renat Zubairov <re...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apart from all that was said here, quickstart is a
> basis for my
> application, so, generally the whole application is
> made from the
> "Quick start". They are really usefull, however
> validation could be
> added to the Forms tutorial.

+1

Especially for custom validation that does a roundtrip
to DB for example.

Konstantin Ignatyev

PS: If this is a typical day on planet earth, humans will add fifteen million tons of carbon to the atmosphere, destroy 115 square miles of tropical rainforest, create seventy-two miles of desert, eliminate between forty to one hundred species, erode seventy-one million tons of topsoil, add 2,700 tons of CFCs to the stratosphere, and increase their population by 263,000

Bowers, C.A.  The Culture of Denial:  Why the Environmental Movement Needs a Strategy for Reforming Universities and Public Schools.  New York:  State University of New York Press, 1997: (4) (5) (p.206)

Re: QuickStart Tutorials -- Anyone reading them?

Posted by Renat Zubairov <re...@gmail.com>.
Apart from all that was said here, quickstart is a basis for my
application, so, generally the whole application is made from the
"Quick start". They are really usefull, however validation could be
added to the Forms tutorial.
Thank you.

On 28/09/05, Corintho R. de Assunção Filho <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found them very helpful, specially for migration. It helps to learn the
> new ways to do the old tricks.
>  I think the tutorial series could go on as:
>  - Using the new validation with various field types (having problems with
> that, didn't have the time to dig into it...)
> - Creating and injecting your own hivemind services into pages (found out
> how to do it, very simple indeed)
> - Some example showing the new forwarding and redirection mechanism,
> specially showing how to get a Link generated (digging into this today)
>  Corintho Assunção
>  On 9/27/05, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm curious how many people have seen the Quick Start tutorials and
> > what people's thoughts are about them?
> >
> > --
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> > Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
> > Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
> > Creator, Jakarta HiveMind
> >
> > Professional Tapestry training, mentoring, support
> > and project work. http://howardlewisship.com

Best regards,
Renat Zubairov

Re: QuickStart Tutorials -- Anyone reading them?

Posted by "Corintho R. de Assunção Filho" <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On 9/28/05, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm curious how many people have seen the Quick Start tutorials and
> what people's thoughts are about them?

Well they're very well formed and very useful to say at least, I've
found them missing to me since my first approach to T3.

I found a simple example which use no inline declaration within html
codes but just component id reference to the xml page specification
would really be useful even from a "best practice" point of view since
i think most (or all maybe) live tapestry app around the world are of
"complex web app" type, that said, Tapestry gives it best when it
comes to complex app (it's not worth for a single page app don't it?)
with a lot of pages which interact together and in this scenario you
would like to keep things separated.

So i definitely would like to see and example which takes care how to
keep components/pages declarations separated from html template.

Regards
--
Massimo

Re: QuickStart Tutorials -- Anyone reading them?

Posted by Igor Stroh <ig...@rulim.de>.
Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> I'm curious how many people have seen the Quick Start tutorials and
> what people's thoughts are about them?

They rock! Without them I wouldn't have chosen Tapestry for my new
project. Keep going! (And please finish the forms chapter :))

Cheers,
Igor

Re: QuickStart Tutorials -- Anyone reading them?

Posted by Kevin Monceaux <Ke...@RawFedDogs.net>.
On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 06:03:59PM -0400, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

> I'm curious how many people have seen the Quick Start tutorials and
> what people's thoughts are about them?

I found them very helpful.  I'm new to both Java web development and to
Tapestry.  I like that they use Ant.  Many tutorials I found around the net
seem to think Eclipse is the only way to go.  I do most of my work over an
SSH link with a text based terminal emulator, so Eclipse is not an option.
Ant works well for me.

I've also been working through "Enjoy Web Development With Tapestry" by Ka
lok "Kent" Tong.  The Quick Start tutorials have helped me with Mr. Tong's
book.  Over all I find his book very useful but it is geared towards Eclipse
users and also towards Windoze users.  I'm a Linux user who prefers Ant.
The Quick Start tutorials have helped me build the various examples in the
book using Ant instead of Eclipse.  I probably wouldn't have purchased the
book if it wasn't for the help of the Quick Start tutorials.  It would be
nice if Mr. Tong would show multiple ways to build his examples, such as
Ant, Maven, etc., instead of just Eclipse.

Oh, the one suggestion I have for the Quick Start tutorials, except for
continuing the series, would be to make a PDF version available sutable for
printing.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
Waco, TX(Soon to be Valley Mills, TX)

Re: Tapestry 3 question

Posted by Darío Vasconcelos <da...@gmail.com>.
It could be as easy as

<a jwcid="@PageLink" page="pageName"
onClick="window.open(this.href,'_blank','left=0,top=0,width=800,height=600');return
false">Your link</a>

On 9/27/05, Ashish Raniwala <ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to pop up a new window which opens up another tapestry page.
> contrib:PopupLink component offers to point to a href but I want to go to
> tapestry page.
> How to do this ?
> Thanks,
> Ashish

I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something.
    Jackie Mason

Re: Tapestry 3 question

Posted by David Solis <h....@gmail.com>.
Use PopUpLinkRenderer.

You can use this renderer with any link component.
In addition you have more control about the new window.

Regards

Re: Tapestry 3 question

Posted by Lindsay Steele <lg...@gmail.com>.
Check out the NewWindowLink component on Tassel.

  It basically allows you to pass a page name for a basic page .. or a
listener for a directlink with parameters etc.

http://www.tapestrycomponents.org/Tassel/app?service=external/ViewComponent&sp=SNewWindowLink

It works really well.

Re: Tapestry 3 question

Posted by Ivano <i....@mclink.it>.
Alternatively, you could try this component:
http://www.tapestrycomponents.org/Tassel/app?service=external/ViewComponent&sp=SNewWindowLink
See ya

Ashish Raniwala wrote:

>Hi,
>I need to pop up a new window which opens up another tapestry page.
>contrib:PopupLink component offers to point to a href but I want to go to
>tapestry page.
>How to do this ?
>Thanks,
>Ashish

Ivano.

Tapestry 3 question

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'm amazed it even parsed without a doctype ... it's not supposed to.

Posted by Gregory Stickley <gr...@gusto.com>.