Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Brock Palen <br...@mlds-networks.com> on 2009/06/17 17:35:21 UTC

hadoop interaction with AFS

Ran into an issue with running hadoop on a cluster that also has AFS
installed.  When a user ssh's in they get an 'extra'  group id, I
think it is called a 'pag',

Problem is when you try to start hadoop from a shell that has a pag,
one of the checks in newer versions stops because there is no group
name to go with the gid,

as an example from the 'groups'  command:

[brockp@nyx-login1 ~]$ groups
cacstaff vasp stata charmm amber8 siesta eecs587f06 nolimit gti
hyades adina chemkinpro coe molpro aces2 helios mcnp5 matlab id:
cannot find name for group ID 1093742985
1093742985

If you ssh to the machine its self using ssh keys, the pag is not
created, which our current work around, but is kinda kludgy,

If you need more information let me know.

Brock Palen
brockp@mlds-networks.com
www.mlds-networks.com
MLDS Owner Senior Tech.

Re: hadoop interaction with AFS

Posted by Faisal Khan <fa...@gmail.com>.
If re-building of Hadoop is an option then I guess you can replace 'groups'
command in Shell.java (src/core/org/apache/hadoop/util/Shell.java) with 'id
-rgn'  to get the correct group name.

--
Faisal

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
Hey Brock,

Looking through my notes, OpenAFS 1.4.1 through 1.4.8 have an issue
with the GIDs.  Maybe you can upgrade to the latest maintenance
release for the 1.4.x series and get lucky?

Otherwise, I think I might have a patch somewhere for this.

Brian

Posted by Brock Palen <br...@mlds-networks.com>.

Posted by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu>.
Hey Brock,