Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Ian Dunlop <ia...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/29 14:12:26 UTC

Any info on bug 1010

Hello,

@Stian Just noticed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-1010 with
the title "Add". No description, vague title. Got any more info than that?

Cheers,

Ian

Re: Any info on bug 1010

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
My apologies - I was trying to add
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAVERNA-1011 but my Enter button
was a bit eager!

Any feedback on my TAVERNA-1011 suggestion
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-language/pull/35 ?

BTW - I think the pull request failed in Jenkins because the Apache
Infra folks have changed the names of which Java versions are
installed:

https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-taverna-language-pull-requests/14/console

It's a bit dangerous method in a way - in that you try to get a
List<String> effectively - but some values could be references or
bytes. So it's mainly intended for presentational purposes (e.g. it
was used by the "Save to Excel" action) and I changed it to be
explicit about which types you want back.

It was also used here by the engine:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine/blob/d5442a3f1262627f1c4c1361660e3151f73dc7d6/taverna-execution-local/src/main/java/org/apache/taverna/platform/execution/impl/local/LocalExecution.java#L150

which to me seems to a bit naive in resolving all the inputs to
Strings unless they are references (e.g. a File as provided by
-inputFile in the command line).

But the command line added -bundle as input - and it could be an input
is a binary file within the bundle - which would not look good as a
UTF-8 String (e.g. it would loose/break higher-order bytes).

So in
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine/blob/TAVERNA-1011/taverna-execution-local/src/main/java/org/apache/taverna/platform/execution/impl/local/LocalExecution.java#L152

where I instead made it resolve as byte[]  (Bytes can always be
requested back as UTF-8-interpreted Strings using
https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-engine/blob/TAVERNA-1011/taverna-reference-types/src/main/java/org/apache/taverna/reference/impl/external/object/InlineByteToInlineStringTranslator.java
-- but I am not sure if this would mean it would consume more memory).

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718