Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2019/01/16 14:44:26 UTC

found a couple of issues in uima v3, figuring out the details

One issue is that the impl of FSArray changed the return type for getting an
element from FeatureStructure to TOP.

This breaks binary backwards compatibility.  (Binary meaning that code compiled
with v2 should run using v3 without recompiling). So, I'm planning to change the
return type back to FeatureStructure.

The other concerns complex use cases involving running within 1 class loader,
multiple UIMA pipelines, having similar type systems, using 1 set of JCas class
definitions.  This is related to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-5698.  The general use cases can have
more variety than the current implementation supports. I'm still figuring this
out but will soon put in a Jira to cover this.

-Marshall