Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Venkatesh Seetharam <vs...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/07 22:35:00 UTC

Solr and Multiple Index Partitions

Hello there,

Howdy. I was wondering if there is a way to configure one Solr instance to
search multiple Index partitions? I read the wiki and found the entry in
SolrConfig.xml:

<dataDir>/var/data/solr</dataDir>

Can I have mutiple directories? Comma separated?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Venkatesh

"Perfection (in design) is achieved not when there is nothing more to add,
but rather when there is nothing more to take away."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Re: Solr and Multiple Index Partitions

Posted by Venkatesh Seetharam <vs...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Chris for a wonderful explanation. I completely get it now. Thanks
for the handy URL too.

Venkatesh

Posted by Venkatesh Seetharam <vs...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ryan for your insight. I do not wish to change Solr.

> Although it seems weird, just adding a "type" field makes it possible
I'm not working with a DB but since we are indexing a huge vault of XML
documents, I use Hadoop + Lucene for indexing which finally generates N
number of partitions, I was thinking to use Solr as the searcher and will
have a broker which merges results from individual Solr searchers.

I do not know if I can ask another question here or start a new thread.

Re: Re[2]: Solr and Multiple Index Partitions

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Mar 7, 2007, at 9:20 PM, Jack L wrote:
> Selecting by type will do the job. But I suppose it sacrifice
> performance because having multiple document types in the same
> index will render a larger index. Is it bad?

A many documents we talking here?

My hunch is you'll be fine :)

	Erik

Re[2]: Solr and Multiple Index Partitions

Posted by Jack L <jl...@yahoo.ca>.
Selecting by type will do the job. But I suppose it sacrifice
performance because having multiple document types in the same
index will render a larger index. Is it bad?

--
Best regards,
Jack

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Solr and Multiple Index Partitions

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Venkatesh Seetharam <vs...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I'm implementing federated search. I do have N partitions of indexes
built and I'd like to have mutiple Solr instances in a cluster each serving
atleast 2 partitions. I was wondering if I could somehow find a way to make
Solr work with atleast 2 partitions. It looks like I need to have smaller
number of partitions.

Thanks,
Venkatesh

Posted by Bradley Burke <bb...@gmail.com>.