Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by James Peach <jo...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/07 19:42:41 UTC

RFC installing the Mesos test suite

Hi all,

I'd like to solicit feedback on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-3608. This change adds a new build mode that installs mesos-tests and its dependencies so that the tests can be run outside of a build environment.

The rationale for this is that many of the tests are integration tests as they rely on kernel features and specific versions of external tools and other run time characteristics. Although it is desirable for the build environment to match the deployment environment, this is not feasible in all cases (eg. the build might run in an unprivileged container). For my own deployment orchestration, I would like to be able to run the test suite on a production host as part of the process of deploying a new Mesos version.

The basic approach is to provide test utility APIs to find the test components, rather than hard-coding the $BUILDDIR/src/.libs directory. Since the tests may also be run on the build hosts, the utility APIs check for the resource in $BUILDDIR/src/.libs before falling back to the installation location. This is done so that the development workflow is unchanged.

Please let me know if you have any feedback or concerns with either the approach or the principle of this change.

thanks,
James

Re: RFC installing the Mesos test suite

Posted by Timothy Anderegg <ti...@gmail.com>.
+1 to the idea of using Meso's own integration tests for deployment
orchestration, happy to help with this if needed.