Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by veechand <ve...@cisco.com> on 2008/06/16 09:50:20 UTC

Impact due to wireformat.maxInactivityDuration=0

In our application we are using ActiveMQ. Currently we facing
"javax.jms.IllegalStateException: The Session is closed", this exception
occurs immediately after "Channel was inactive for too long". On searching
on this we found an option for disabling the inactive timer, namely
wireformat.maxInactivityDuration=0. We have added this during intialization
of TopicConnectionFactory. Since this issue is not reproduced consistently,
we like to know on the following
   1. Is there any impact due disabling timeout.
   2. Will there be any increase in recourses like socket, file handle,
threads, memory
   3. Any consistent way to reproduce the issue.

Background:
   Our application is a web based application. Uses ActiveMQ to pass events
between JVMs. There are events which are passed so infrequently and those
that are passed very frequently.

Re: Impact due to wireformat.maxInactivityDuration=0

Posted by Sharon Barker <sh...@intalgent.com>.
Hi,

Our application had a similar issue bridging between brokers on
different networks. We were able to reproduce the problem in a testing
environment by fiddling with iptables to completely sever connectivity
on one broker machine. In our case that made sense because in the wild
the devices are physically separate and network issues (latency, lost
packets, somebody's ill advised firewall rule, etc) happen all the
time. In our tests we found that "shutdown" was either normal or
sudden traffic stop (iptables change.)

One additional note which may (or may not) apply to your situation...
we found that we had to set both brokers to have non-zero values for
wireformat.maxInactivityDuration for the bridge to come back up at
all. Once that was done, all was well in both 4.1.2 and 5.1.0 in our
app.

Hope that helps a little.

Sharon

Posted by veechand <ve...@cisco.com>.
Thanks Marco.

Posted by Marco Buss <ma...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

we ave the same problem here. Setting wireformat.maxInactivityDuration=0 was