Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Craig W Conway <cr...@yahoo.com> on 2007/04/04 19:25:27 UTC

How many Searches is a Searcher Worth?

I am using an RMI architecture for calling a remote service which uses an IndexSearcher in its own JVM. I am starting the service with the following provisions for memory allocation and garbage collection: java -server -Xmx1024m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC

After about 1000 search calls I start to run out of memory, and I have to close and re-open the IndexSearcher, loosing any cached data and filters... Is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to use my IndexSearcher forever, until I want to close it?

Thanks!

Craig