Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Vauthrin, Laurent" <La...@disney.com> on 2009/11/09 20:22:26 UTC

Solr on OOM

Hello,

One of our deployed Solr (1.3) setup is having out of memory issues and
I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it.  I've read a few posts (including
http://old.nabble.com/Debugging-Solr-memory-usage-heap-problems-ts883279
4.html#a8832794) but I think this situation is slightly different.

Here's the setup:

1 master and 1 slave are located on a the same VM (using a 64-bit JVM)

1 slave running on its own VM (using a 64-bit JVM)

>From what I've been told, nothing else is running on those VMs.

Index size is about 100-200 MB.

Solrconfig.xml cache settings:

    <filterCache class="solr.LRUCache" size="15000" initialSize="5000"
autowarmCount="5000"/>

    <queryResultCache class="solr.LRUCache" size="15000"
initialSize="5000" autowarmCount="5000"/>

    <documentCache class="solr.LRUCache" size="15000"
initialSize="5000"/>

Both slaves at some point have gone out of memory (though not both at
the same time) when receiving a moderate load of queries (a few queries
per second - don't have an exact stat here).  We started with a heap
size of 1GB and ended up having to bump it up to 3.5GB.  It seems really
odd that we'd have to have a heap size that large when the index itself
is not really big.  Any thoughts on what could be really off here?   Is
there a way to determine the cache sizes in bytes?  I noticed that there
was a thread about other issues running Solr on VMs, has anyone else had
problems using VMWare?  From what I'm told, it seems like moving to
physical servers won't be a fast/easy change so I'm looking for any help
I can get for this configuration.

Thanks,
Laurent Vauthrin

RE: Solr on OOM

Posted by "Vauthrin, Laurent" <La...@disney.com>.
Ok, I'll see if I can get their heap dump.  Thanks.

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Laurent,