Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2006/06/19 17:38:17 UTC

[proposal] Maven front page, navigation

(adapted from "Making the current web site suck less" initial proposal,
based on user/dev feedback)

I'm embarrassed to say that the front page looks a whole lot like the
one I created about this time last year for 2.0 alpha 1. I think it
needs an update. IMO, the front page should be:

* an introduction
* how to use the left navigation
* documentation trails
* quick links like the download box
* have news, but not be the primary focus of the page
* above all, brief.

So, something like:

* About Maven

Maven is ... for more info see {features}, {FAQ}, {what is maven}, {why
maven}, etc (but all this in prose.

* Learning about Maven

This site is separated into the following sections:
- {Quick start} information for those needing to build a project that
uses Maven
- {User's Guide} for those wanting to use Maven to build their project,
including a "10 minute test" that gives a practical overview of Maven's
main features
- {Plugin Developer's Guide} - for those who may or may not be using
Maven, but want to provide a plugin for shared functionality or to
accompany their own product or toolset
- {Maven Developer's Guide} - for those interested in contributing to
the development of Maven

Each guide is divided into a number of trails to get you started on a
particular topic, and includes a reference area and a "cookbook" of
common examples.

You can access the guides at any time from the left navigation.

* Plugins

Maven functionality is provided by plugins: See {concept} and {plugin
list(s)}.

* How to get Support

{mailing lists}, {IRC}, {wiki} etc. Send beer.

* News (RHS, under download box).

... blah ....

Of course, we can spruce this page up with round corners and javascript
if that'll make people happier too :) I'm not tied to any lout here, I
just think these are the elements of it.

For the navigation (headings, * pages, > submenus - initially hidden,
(bracketed text) not shown on nav):

Get Maven (maybe not needed if it is on the front page)
     * Download
     * Release Notes

About Maven
     * What is Maven?
     * Features
     * FAQ --> this is for non-users, not a technical FAQ
     * Powered By
     * Books and Articles

Documentation
     * Quick start
     * User's Guide
       > Concepts (POM, artifacts, lifecycle, repositories, plugins,
conventions, archetypes, multimodule, sites, reports) - each a high
level description with links into guides
       > Getting Started Guide
       > Trail 1 (some good trail ideas in John's proposal)
       > Trail 2
       > Build Cookbook
       > Settings Reference
       > POM Reference
       > Profiles Reference
     * Plugin Developer's Guide
       > Plugin Concepts
       > Writing your first Mojo
       > Mojo API Reference
       > Plugin Cookbook
       > Maven API Reference
     * Available Plugins
       > By Host (default)
       > By Category
     * Getting Support
       > ... (as on front page)
     * Documentation Index
       > By Category (default)
       > Alphabetical

IDE Integration
     * Eclipse Extension
     * Netbeans Module

Developers
     * How to Contribute
     * Developer's Guide (developer subsite with reports, etc)
       > Getting Started

Maven Repository
     * How to upload
     * How to partner
     * How to mirror

The index is important, as that's how the Maven maven's find their doc
quickly (I need the lifecycle guide), instead of wading through the
trails which are for learning.

I think we should leave breadcrumbs and links to a later topic once this
is nailed down, but agree we should have them.

Final note: once we tackle this the subprojects/apis should get the same
approach (but also be linked to from the main site and considered a
subsite). Some links back to the top level site to maintain hierachy is
required.

I can come up with a strawman index.apt and site.xml tomorrow if folks
would find that helpful. I'm sure once it gets put together it'll need a
lot of tweaking in any regard, but maybe this is a starting point. For
now, sleep :)

- Brett

Re: [proposal] Maven front page, navigation

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
We're probably going to start in on this in August, once we can get some
spare time. For now, I think everyone's busy...

-j

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Thierry Barnier <tb...@gmail.com>.