Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Charles Givre <cg...@gmail.com> on 2022/02/08 01:32:34 UTC

Drill Board Report

The mission of Drill is the creation and maintenance of software related to
Schema-free SQL Query Engine for Apache Hadoop, NoSQL and Cloud Storage

## Issues:
No blocking issues.

## Membership Data:
Apache Drill was founded 2014-11-18 (7 years ago)
There are currently 60 committers and 27 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 5:3.

Community changes, past quarter:
- James Turton was added to the PMC on 2022-01-23
- PJ Fanning was added as committer on 2022-01-19

## Project Activity:
The Drill team is preparing to release Drill 1.20.
We released RC0 for Drill 1.20 on 5 February. One minor bug was found,
so we will likely be putting out RC1 shortly.

Drill 1.20 is significant in that in addition to new functionality and bug fixes
the new version has backwards compatibility with Hadoop 2.  This limitation
meant that many organizations could not upgrade past Drill circa 1.17.

Some highlights of Drill 1.20 are:
* Storage plugin for Apache Phoenix
* Format plugin for Apache Iceberg
* Upgrade Parquet reader to Parquet v2
* Support for automatic de-pagination for REST plugin
* Support for OAuth2.0 for REST queries
* Refactoring pushdowns for Mongo
much more...

The Drill community has been holding monthly hangout meetings which James Turton
has organized. We've been discussing building a Drill 2.0 and what that would
entail. There are a few key themes of things which we should revise which would
necessarily break some existing functionality.

* 1.19.0 was released on 2021-06-10.
* 1.18.0 was released on 2020-09-04.
* 1.17.0 was released on 2019-12-26.

## Community Health:

The Drill community is growing and I would say strong. As mentioned above
there has been a good conversation for the last few months about Drill 2.0.

* dev@drill.apache.org had a 80% increase in traffic in the past quarter
(1147 emails compared to 635)
* issues@drill.apache.org had a 79% increase in traffic in the past quarter
(1033 emails compared to 576)
* 83 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (45% increase)
* 82 issues closed in JIRA, past quarter (105% increase)
* 135 commits in the past quarter (-18% change)
* 21 code contributors in the past quarter (61% increase)
* 76 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (10% increase)
* 82 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (22% increase)
* 13 issues opened on GitHub, past quarter (-40% change)
* 10 issues closed on GitHub, past quarter (-16% change)
* 342 members of Drill slack channel.