Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM> on 2008/04/15 19:26:06 UTC

running unit tests on IBM Java 6 on Ubuntu 7

I am trying to run unit tests on the IBM Java 6 platform on Ubuntu 7. I
notice that this combination is not recorded in our list of "known good"
platforms: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PlatformTestsDerby However, I
suspect that that page is not kept up-to-date and someone is probably
successfully testing on this combination. I am seeing JMX related
errors. Any advice would be appreciated. Here's what I'm seeing. Thanks-Rick

There were 3 errors:
1)
noSpecialCollation(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.lang.TableFunctionTest)java.lang.InternalError:
Failed to get bean info.
   at gnu.javax.management.Server.checkSecurity(libgcj.so.81)
   at gnu.javax.management.Server.getAttribute(libgcj.so.81)
   at javax.management.MBeanServerFactory.createMBeanServer(libgcj.so.81)
   at javax.management.MBeanServerFactory.createMBeanServer(libgcj.so.81)
   at
java.lang.management.ManagementFactory.getPlatformMBeanServer(libgcj.so.81)
   at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.jmx.JMXManagementService$1.run(Unknown
Source)
   at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.jmx.JMXManagementService$1.run(Unknown
Source)
   at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(libgcj.so.81)
   at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.jmx.JMXManagementService.findServer(Unknown
Source)
   at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.jmx.JMXManagementService.boot(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.boot(Unknown
Source)
   at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.TopService.bootModule(Unknown Source)
   at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.startModule(Unknown
Source)
   at
org.apache.derby.iapi.services.monitor.Monitor.startSystemModule(Unknown
Source)
   at
org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.BaseMonitor.runWithState(Unknown
Source)
   at org.apache.derby.impl.services.monitor.FileMonitor.<init>(Unknown
Source)
   at
org.apache.derby.iapi.services.monitor.Monitor.startMonitor(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.derby.iapi.jdbc.JDBCBoot.boot(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver.boot(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.81)
   at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.81)
   at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.81)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.DriverManagerConnector.loadJDBCDriver(DriverManagerConnector.java:143)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.DriverManagerConnector.openConnection(DriverManagerConnector.java:72)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.DriverManagerConnector.openConnection(DriverManagerConnector.java:43)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.TestConfiguration.openDefaultConnection(TestConfiguration.java:1312)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseJDBCTestCase.openDefaultConnection(BaseJDBCTestCase.java:411)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseJDBCTestCase.getConnection(BaseJDBCTestCase.java:101)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.lang.TableFunctionTest.setUp(TableFunctionTest.java:871)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestCase.runBare(BaseTestCase.java:101)
Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: getMBeanInfo
   at java.lang.Class.getMethod(libgcj.so.81)
   at gnu.javax.management.Server.checkSecurity(libgcj.so.81)
   ...40 more
2) TableFunctionTest:territory=enjava.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
   at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.81)
   at org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDataSource.findDriver(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDataSource.getConnection(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDataSource.getConnection(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.Decorator$2.setUp(Decorator.java:185)
   at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:20)
   at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:25)
   at org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57)
   at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
   at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:21)
   at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:25)
   at org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.BaseTestSetup.run(BaseTestSetup.java:57)
   at junit.extensions.TestDecorator.basicRun(TestDecorator.java:24)
   at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:21)
   at junit.extensions.TestSetup.run(TestSetup.java:25)
3) TableFunctionTest:territory=enjava.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
   at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.81)
   at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.81)
   at java.lang.Class.forName(libgcj.so.81)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.DriverManagerConnector.loadJDBCDriver(DriverManagerConnector.java:143)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.DriverManagerConnector.openConnection(DriverManagerConnector.java:72)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.DriverManagerConnector.openConnection(DriverManagerConnector.java:47)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.TestConfiguration.openConnection(TestConfiguration.java:1341)
   at
org.apache.derbyTesting.junit.DropDatabaseSetup.tearDown(DropDatabaseSetup.java:54)
   at junit.extensions.TestSetup$1.protect(TestSetup.java:22)

Re: running unit tests on IBM Java 6 on Ubuntu 7

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On 4/16/08, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
>
>>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>>

> [...snip...]

>> I can successfully run embedded Derby under ij using the IBM Java 6 vm on
>> Ubuntu 7. Derby comes up and I can issue queries.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>

> So it's specifically with the tests? And only on Ubuntu...
> What's your exact build info for the ibm 1.6 jvm (java -version) and
> ubuntu OS details?
>
> Myrna

Well, it appears that I am generating a lot of noise here and wasting
your time. Today, I am able to run junit tests in this environment (IBM
Java 6 and Ubuntu 7.10). I don't know what I was doing wrong yesterday.
Sorry for the noise.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: running unit tests on IBM Java 6 on Ubuntu 7

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 4/16/08, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:

[...snip...]

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
John Embretsen wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> I am trying to run unit tests on the IBM Java 6 platform on Ubuntu 7. I
>> notice that this combination is not recorded in our list of "known good"
>> platforms: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PlatformTestsDerby However, I
>> suspect that that page is not kept up-to-date and someone is probably
>> successfully testing on this combination. I am seeing JMX related
>> errors. Any advice would be appreciated. Here's what I'm seeing.
>> Thanks-Rick
>>

> Looks weird... Do you see such exceptions when you simply try to boot the
> network server (with a security manager) or the embedded driver in ij or a Java
> program as well, or only when running unit tests?
>
> Regarding the JMX-related error it seems like there is an issue when accessing
> the platform MBean Server. It complains that it can't find the method
> getMBeanInfo, which is part of the javax.management.MBeanServerConnection
> interface as well as the javax.management.StandardMBean class.
>
> The other errors (NoClassDefFound, EmbeddedDriver) are equally strange, and I
> have no idea what could cause them. I have not tried running on Ubuntu myself,
> though. Tried IBM's 1.6 VM on Red Hat 4, and it seemed to work fine.

Hi John,

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.

--
John

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> On 4/15/08, Rick Hillegas <Ri...@sun.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to run unit tests on the IBM Java 6 platform on Ubuntu 7. I
>>> notice that this combination is not recorded in our list of "known
>>> good"
>>> platforms:
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PlatformTestsDerby However,
>>> I suspect that that page is not kept up-to-date and someone is probably
>>> successfully testing on this combination. I am seeing JMX related
>>> errors.
>>> Any advice would be appreciated. Here's what I'm seeing. Thanks-Rick
>>>
>>> There were 3 errors:
>>> 1)
>>> noSpecialCollation(org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.tests.lang.TableFunctionTest)java.lang.InternalError:
>>>
>>> Failed to get bean info.
>>>

>> For what it's worth, although I run with ibm 1.6, incl. on Linux, I
>> don't currently have Ubuntu on any machine...While there are some
>> troubles reported with these tests, (see DERBY-3545, DERBY-3595) and
>> there have been other troubles with ibm1.6 this one is new to me.
>>
>> Myrna
>>
> Thanks Myrna and Manjula. The problems I'm seeing are not related to
> those issues. I get the JMX-related error when I run
> GrantRevokeDDLTest also.
>
> Regards,
> -Rick
For the record, I have no trouble running Derby regression tests on IBM
Java 5 on Ubuntu 7--that is, if I run with the fix to DERBY-3616.

Regards,
-Rick

Re: running unit tests on IBM Java 6 on Ubuntu 7

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manjula Kutty <ma...@gmail.com>.
I didn't do the test with Ubuntu, but is it because of DERBY-3545?

-Manjula

Manjula.

Re: running unit tests on IBM Java 6 on Ubuntu 7

Posted by Dave66 <dr...@hotmail.com>.
I have just hit the same problem - but using Ubuntu 7.10's out-of-the box
Java
which is: Java 1.5.0 - gic (GNU libgc) version 4.2.1 (Ubuntu
4.2.1-5ubuntu5).

I installed IBM's Java 6 JRE after reading this post and I don't get the
problem anymore.

Previously I was able to start the Derby Network Server (10.3 and 10.4) via
a Java program
using Ubuntu's default Java 1.5, but it core dumped when I tried running SQL
queries against
it... This is also fixed using IBM's java 6.

Thanks
David