Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com> on 2007/02/08 15:59:49 UTC

**/pom.xml is part of the ignore list during the check-for-local-modifications phase within the release process

Hi,

I've seen that **/pom.xml is being ignored for local modifications
during a release... Although that doesn't seem right because when the
release is committed, the changes will become part of the release
process, I have found a use for it when dryRun=true... that is, to test
a release of a modified pom without actually committing the changes yet.

So I'd like to hear your comments on what to do with it.

[1] create two separate ignore lists: one for dryRun (with **/pom.xml)
and another for the actual release (without **/pom.xml)
[2] remove **/pom.xml from the ignore list
[3] do not change anything (please state your reason)

I'm for #1.

Hope to hear from you soon.

^_^

Re: **/pom.xml is part of the ignore list during the check-for-local-modifications phase within the release process

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
yes.

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> On 09/02/2007, at 6:44 AM, Edwin Punzalan wrote:
>
>>> AFAIK the reason the poms are excluded is because they're modified
>>> by the
>>> release process; if the check for local modifications is run after
>>> the pom
>>> is modified, it's impossible to do a release. So this could
>>> probably be fixed.
>> That's correct, the pom is modified by the release... but the phase
>> which checks for local modifications is run a few phases before
>> that.  So its safe to remove it from the ignore list.
>
> I agree.

It's convenient. Normally we just drop any SNAPSHOT releases from the POM
and start the release process. Since the POM will be committed as part of
the preparation, it saves an extra step. Otherwise we're forced to commit
the POM with a comment like "prepare the release" manually and the plugin
will do the same some instants later automatically.

[snip]

- Jörg

Re: **/pom.xml is part of the ignore list during the check-for-local-modifications phase within the release process

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <ep...@exist.com>.

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <ke...@apache.org>.