Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Dave Tenerowicz <dt...@salmonllc.com> on 2007/09/06 18:44:25 UTC

importing encrypted credit card data

Is there any way to import credit card data in an encrypted format, so
that OfBiz can properly decrypt the values?
We need to import millions of credit card records into OFB, and would
like to do this directly to the database (SQL Server) without using xml
import. Can this be done? What encryption method is being used by OfBiz?
Or is the only safe approach to use XML import? If we use XML import,
what are the absolute record limits per import file? I'm guessing 10,000
records per file?

--
Dave Tenerowicz
dtenerowicz@salmonllc.com

Office: 303.493.6727
Mobile 303.906.6116
Fax 303.814.8330

Visit us at http://www.salmonllc.com

Re: importing encrypted credit card data

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.
Dave Tenerowicz wrote:

> Or is the only safe approach to use XML import?

disclaimer: I just sat through a credit card security webinar this afternoon and
of course the purpose was to convince you that you should treat cc info like
plutonium unless you buy a certain vendors black boxes, so of course now I see
that its really impossible because of every nifty thing you should do (or could
buy), I know of a way to defeat it.>

You can build a bridge entity that you populate your cc info into using normal
database transfers, and let a service do the lifting for you. I believe the
current Opentaps has a "dataimport" module in the hot-deploy directory that has
the ability to import credit card numbers with parties.

http://www.opentaps.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=78

We have built several import tools like this (with Si's help) that have a ton of
customization and logic that we needed.

--
Walter

Re: importing encrypted credit card data

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Check out the Entity Engine encryption stuff, which BTW isn't perfect but is pretty good.

-David

Posted by Dave Tenerowicz <dt...@salmonllc.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Passwords are different. They are not encrypted by the entity engine, they are done by the service so you'd have to run a service or something after the fact (not sure if this exists) to encrypt all passwords.

-David

Posted by Vince Clark <vc...@globalera.com>.

--
Vince Clark
Global Era

Re: importing encrypted credit card data

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Dave Tenerowicz wrote:
> Is there any way to import credit card data in an encrypted format, so
> that OfBiz can properly decrypt the values?
> We need to import millions of credit card records into OFB, and would
> like to do this directly to the database (SQL Server) without using xml
> import. Can this be done? What encryption method is being used by OfBiz?

Quite possible, just have to find out which encryption scheme and key(s) have been used and make sure OFBiz is doing the same.

> Or is the only safe approach to use XML import?

Can go either way. Just make sure with the XML import that it doesn't double-encrypt it...

> If we use XML import,
> what are the absolute record limits per import file? I'm guessing 10,000
> records per file?

In theory there is no limit. ;)

-David