Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com> on 2006/12/05 23:29:12 UTC

Re: Recognizing Sendmail's authentication -- patch included (WAS: How is LOCAL_AUTH_RCVD used?)

On Dec 5, 2006, at 2:02 AM, David B Funk wrote:
> Jo you are mistaken. Sendmail adds the "(may be forged)" comment when
> the client's IP rDNS and DNS don't match, it has -nothing- to do
> with the
> HELO name.

RTFC            (...code)

If the hello is numeric or non a domain name, the "may be forged" is
*NOT* added to the Received line. It's only added when what Sendmail
was told appears to be false.

> It still should not matter. So long as the client can authenticate to
> the server's statisfaction, SA should honor its decision regardless of
> how bogus the HELO or client's DNS entrys look.

That's your argument.  That may not have been the thought process of
the person who wrote that rule, was all I was trying to say.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness

Re: Recognizing Sendmail's authentication -- patch included (WAS: How is LOCAL_AUTH_RCVD used?)

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Jo Rhett wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2006, at 2:02 AM, David B Funk wrote:

>> It still should not matter. So long as the client can authenticate to
>> the server's statisfaction, SA should honor its decision regardless of
>> how bogus the HELO or client's DNS entrys look.
>
> That's your argument.  That may not have been the thought process of the
> person who wrote that rule, was all I was trying to say.

Just an oversight.  I have no ham that is both authenticated and
includes the "may be forged" comment so I missed considering it in the
regex.

Daryl