Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by "Gerdes, Tom" <TG...@OldRepublicTitle.com> on 2006/04/06 19:47:40 UTC

Obtaining a Wire Trace

I am using the JVM on an IBM Iseries to run my java application that
uses Httpclient.  I have found that the logging used by the JVM is the
"org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger" logger.  I followed the
Httpclient Commons Logging examples on the web site.  Configuring my
"logging.properties" file as follows.

java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level=FINEST

handlers=java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.formatter =
java.util.logging.SimpleFormatter

org.apache.commons.httpclient.wire.level=FINEST

org.apache.commons.httpclient.level=FINEST

This gives me much detail that is helpful.  Although it still does not
print the Request Body (exactly as it is being sent over the wire).   I
would like it to be sent directly to the Console.  That would be the
easiest for me for debugging.   Is this the correct configuration to get
information sent to the Console or is it being sent somewhere else.

Any suggestions for obtaining the wire trace would be greatly
appreciated!

Re: Obtaining a Wire Trace

Posted by Bindul Bhowmik <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hello Tom,

The name of the loggers used for logging wire data (that is sent over
the network) in httpclient does not have "org.apache.commons"
prepended to them.

So instead of setting

> org.apache.commons.httpclient.wire.level=FINEST

try setting
httpclient.wire.level=FINEST

HTH
Bindul