Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/04 10:25:44 UTC

[DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

@jb If people think Cellar may potentially grow into something bigger,
we should definitely make it a subproject asap.  It will be much less
pain than doing that later.

@achim that could be a good idea.   I remember jb talked about an OBR
repository and maybe the a webserver (ready to use web container based
on karaf and pax-web plus all the good stuff you wrote recently) could
definitely make sense to me.   It may also help keeping the core clean
and lean.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Connect at CamelOne May 24-26
The Open Source Integration Conference
http://camelone.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
You're right James, I forgot this point :)

Regards
JB

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 4 May 2011 11:23, Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> Yes .. it is a tradeoff for the flexibility you gain. I just wanted to
> mention the effort needed to do this.

Having courser grained projects also adds work to each release as you
have to test everything is working in every release, rather than the
smaller feature you're hacking on.

Given OSGi is all about modularity; it seems churlish to not have
modular projects & releases too.

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration

Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Yes .. it is a tradeoff for the flexibility you gain. I just wanted to
mention the effort needed to do this.

Christian

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@fusesource.com>.
On 4 May 2011 11:11, Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> Good point .. but this also makes things harder to test as each release of
> Karaf has to be tested with several versions of cellar as well as each
> release of cellar has to be tested against several versions of Karaf.

Cellar just needs to be tested against one or more Karaf releases;
just like ServiceMix components are frequently tested against
different ServiceMix releases. Its no biggie really.

Given the modular nature of OSGi you probably want to test any OSGi
component against a number of different containers anyway.

--
James
-------
FuseSource
Email: james@fusesource.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Yes .. I would also rather like to keep it on karaf trunk. When it gets
bigger and more independent we can still make it a real subproject with
independent release history. I also like to keep things simple if possible.

Christian

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Just reading your response Guillaume; I'm not so sure if we really
should create various distributions here. Instead I think this have to
go hand-in-hand with a "feature-repository" where all subfeatures
could be registered. That way we can update the submodules independent
from the core Karaf container and require only our three distributions
as they are now. The user downloads either a minimal, standard or full
distribution (while I think standard and full are the same with the
difference that you scale the standard distribution "up" and the full
"down (as discussed in another thread by Mike and David)) and can
install cellar, web or anything else via the feature repository. I
don't think that we should differ here between a "clustering" and
"non-clustering" solution in any other way.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I will have to look into what we have in 3.0 for this. Perhaps it does
already what I wanted.

Christian

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
+1 on the idea of Ioannis,

I really want to see the clustering being part of the enterprise
features, and again I think it is a good way of
keeping the standard Karaf lean to put the clustering solution in a
subproject, with all given pros and cons.
I personally think the pros still override the cons.

just my 2 cents, Achim :-)

*Achim Nierbeck*

Committer & Project Lead

Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi guys,

a lot of message to read just after lunch :)

Agree with Andreas. It spins a previous discussion about an OBR/EBR for
Karaf.

FYI, I launched a discussion on Archiva to see if the guys are
interested to make enhancements to Archiva to turn it as an EBR:
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@archiva.apache.org/msg01296.html

Anyway, Guillaume already worked on RemoteOBR which could be interesting
also.

Regards
JB

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
2011/5/4 Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 14:01, Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Guys, we are getting off topic.
>>
>> Even though I like Guillaume's ideas about central repository etc, it is
>> still hypothetical since the mechanism is not implemented yet and thus we
>> can't base our decisions on that.
>
> I think we already have everything.  It's just a matter of writing
> those xml descriptors and managing those.
> I think we should get that in place for 3.0 if possible.

yep, let's get 2.2.1 out fast and get into that one :)

>> What we currently have is standard/enterprise features descriptor. What I am
>> saying is that clustering should be part of the enterprise features
>> descriptor *(and probably hosted as subproject)*. Once we implement the
>> central repository mechanism we can move it there.
>
> I think the enterprise descriptor should be pushed back to Aries
> actually.  It's a more natural home for it imho.

>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think you misundertand me.
>>> When camel 2.8.1 would be released, we'd just add the url to the global
>>> file at
>>>   http://karaf.apache.org/features/repository.xml
>>>
>>> Users could then install the updated feature as it would be
>>> automatically available.

>>> Then
>>> easily

>>> repo

>>> <repository>mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-karaf/xml/features/2.7.0</repository>
>>> >>

>>> <repository>mvn:org.apache.camel/camel-karaf/xml/features/2.8.0</repository>

>>> able

>>> the

>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>> Guillaume Nodet
>>> ------------------------
>>> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Source SOA
>>> http://fusesource.com
>>>
>>> Connect at CamelOne May 24-26
>>> The Open Source Integration Conference
>>> http://camelone.com/
>>>

>> --
>> *Ioannis Canellos*
>> *
>>  http://iocanel.blogspot.com

>> Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/>  Committer
>> *
>>

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com
>
> Connect at CamelOne May 24-26
> The Open Source Integration Conference
> http://camelone.com/

*Achim Nierbeck*

Committer & Project Lead

Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Ok, then we can have it to the standard features descriptor.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.
Andreas Pieber wrote:

> In fact I think we should take a look how far we really want to break
> down the various components. What really should be extracted. Although
> there are various possibilities to split Karaf I would roughly suggest
> something like: management, web, clustering, spring (to finally get
> the spring things out of the "real" core :)). Since there are 13 PMCs
> (if Jamie stays at releasing karaf-core there are still 12 remaining)
> I think it should be possible to find 4 PMCs willing to take over the
> release process for those components. I have no problem taking one
> myself (which means 3 remaining :))...
>
> Kind regards,
> Andreas
>
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Jamie G. &lt;jamie.goodyear@gmail.com&gt;
> wrote:
>> The website just requires committer status.
>>
>> According to this a PMC is 'preferred', as the PMCs are responsible
>> for their projects distribution directory at Apache.
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Jamie
>>
>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 1:49 PM, mikevan &lt;mvangeertruy@comcast.net&gt;
>> wrote:

>>> Hmm.. I thought PMC was required for a release, or is that just for the
>>> site?
>>>
>>> -----
>>> Mike Van (aka karafman)
>>> Karaf Team (Contributor)
>>> --

Is this different than what Guillaume originally suggested?  The original
suggestion seemed aimed more at creating customer distributions of Karaf,
and this seems like breaking up optional functionality into subprojects...
I'm a tad confused.

-----
Mike Van (aka karafman)
Karaf Team (Contributor)

Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.
iocanel wrote:

> I guess I could take on clustering.
>

> --
> *Ioannis Canellos*
> *
>  http://iocanel.blogspot.com
>
> Apache Karaf &lt;http://karaf.apache.org/&gt; Committer & PMC
> Apache ServiceMix &lt;http://servicemix.apache.org/&gt;  Committer
> *

I'm always ready to help verify the releases!  :-)

-----
Mike Van (aka karafman)
Karaf Team (Contributor)

Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
+1

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I think you misundertand me.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by "Jamie G." <ja...@gmail.com>.
To my view of things, Cellar becomes part of the core features of
Karaf as its clustering solution. I do not believe that a separate
distribution is required  (ie. Apache-Karaf-Cellar.tar.gz) as
clustering is something that the user should just need to install as a
feature to enable. To the question of should Cellar be on trunk or as
a sub project, at this time I think in trunk makes sense.

Cheers,
Jamie

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I also think a small karaf with the easy possibility to create custom
distros is the way to go.
A central list of pointers to repository files makes sense. But we have
to do this a bit different than the current feature files. Currently a

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: [DISCUSS] Subprojects (was [VOTE] Add Cellar into Karaf trunk)

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure to understand your objections.  Having a tar/gz with
karaf + cellar already installed makes things easier to consume for
end users.  Same for karaf + web, which gives you a ready to use web
container.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, that's what I'm also thinking of. THB I really like JB's
proposal about having:

- WebContainer (using Pax Web)
- EnterpriseContainer (using Aries, OpenJPA)
- OBR (using Felix BundleRepository, home mage stuff)
- Cluster (using Cellar/Hazelcast)

I'm with JB about the pros but not completely about the cons; at least
not about

- it requires more knowledges for the users to create custom
distribution with exactly what they want (Karaf is less integrated but
provide all required to create custom distro)

If we finish the .kar model in a good way in 3.x (what I really
believe we can) it won't be any difference for an end-user (from my
point of view at least).

So +1 for subprojects directly in Karaf (similar to Felix).

Kind regards,
Andreas

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Charles,

We are talking about Karaf sub-projects, not Apache one.
All these projects will be under the Karaf repository.

Regards
JB

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
It makes sense to have sub-projects in Karaf:
- WebContainer (using Pax Web)
- EnterpriseContainer (using Aries, OpenJPA)
- OBR (using Felix BundleRepository, home mage stuff)
- Cluster (using Cellar/Hazelcast)

In that case, Karaf itself will be a very lightweight container.

Pro:
- Karaf itself is more clean and light
- Karaf dependencies are more easy to manage (the dependencies
management move to subproject)

Cons:
- multiple projects is not easy to understand for the end-users. See the
Felix case: I think that a lot of users are lost about Felix, with a lot
of misunderstanding between Felix Framework and others projects
- it requires more community "interactions": more votes, more releases, etc

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Yes, and I think it would make sense to have a subproject dedicated to
having a ready to use webserver, such as tomcat, jetty or gemini.
We can't really talk about Karaf as a web server, that's not what it
is.

For OBR, I'm not talking about just the obr bundle, that would not
make any sense, but Jean-Baptiste talked some time ago about having an
distribution of Karaf targetet at having an OBR server with the help
of RemoteOBR (see http://gnodet.blogspot.com/2010/09/remoteobr.html).

I think the same apply to cellar.  As soon as we want to give a
personality to karaf, i.e. something build on top of Karaf, it makes
more sense to have a subproject for that.

Over the past months, I've expressed myself a number of time to make
sure Karaf does not become a dumping ground for any OSGi stuff.  For
sure, other features should be able to be installed very easily using
features xml descriptors, but that doesn't mean we should not provide
specific distributions in other subprojects.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
I would like Cellar to be integrated into Karaf for the moment. When it
supports more then Karaf then this is the right time to make it more
independent.

Always remember that for subprojects you also have to call votes for the
releases. So this would mean some extra  overhead.

Christian

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, If we decide to add Cellar into Karaf, make it as a subject is
better so that we can keep Karaf core as small as possible, I believe
this is also how the original "KERNEL" means.
Also +1 to put pax-web related stuff as subject.

Freeman
On 2011-5-4, at 下午4:25, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> @jb If people think Cellar may potentially grow into something bigger,
> we should definitely make it a subproject asap.  It will be much less
> pain than doing that later.
>
> @achim that could be a good idea.   I remember jb talked about an OBR
> repository and maybe the a webserver (ready to use web container based
> on karaf and pax-web plus all the good stuff you wrote recently) could
> definitely make sense to me.   It may also help keeping the core clean
> and lean.
>
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 09:43, Achim Nierbeck
> <bc...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> +1 for cellar being a subproject.
>>
>> btw. we might need to take a look on different other "core" features
>> that might be considered to be a worthy "subproject".
>> just my 2 cents :-)
>>
>> regards, Achim
>>
>> 2011/5/4 Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>:
>>> Hi Guillaume,
>>>
>>> thanks for the update.
>>>
>>> I would prefer to have Cellar directly on Karaf trunk. Like this,
>>> it allows
>>> to define Cellar feature into the Karaf features descriptors.
>>> But your remark is right and it could make sense to have Cellar as
>>> a Karaf
>>> edge project.
>>> @others: WDYT ?
>>>
>>> For the projects dependencies (SMX, CXF, etc), it's just an idea,
>>> and I'm
>>> not sure it's a good one :). For now, Cellar is **only** a Karaf
>>> cluster
>>> implementation. So it makes sense to be in Karaf. If later, it
>>> evolves to
>>> something different, we will think about moving into a new project
>>> (as we
>>> made for Karaf, from ServiceMix Kernel, to Felix Karaf and finally
>>> Karaf
>>> :)).
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>> Regards
>>> JB

>> --
>> --
>> *Achim Nierbeck*

>> OPS4J Pax Web <http://wiki.ops4j.org/display/paxweb/Pax+Web/>
>> Committer & Project Lead
>>

> --
> Cheers,
> Guillaume Nodet
> ------------------------
> Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
> ------------------------
> Open Source SOA
> http://fusesource.com
>
> Connect at CamelOne May 24-26
> The Open Source Integration Conference
> http://camelone.com/

Freeman Fang

FuseSource
Email:ffang@fusesource.com
Web: fusesource.com
Twitter: freemanfang
Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com

Posted by mikevan <mv...@comcast.net>.
Andreas Pieber wrote:

> In fact i proposed two things :-) one to cut down the number of
> distributions into online and offline depending on the number of packages
> they contain and virtually any number of distributions based on features
> making them visible during the startup. The second one is to split the
> "non-core" parts out of karaf to keep a sleek karaf core.
>
> It is neither exactly what Guillaume proposed, nor anybody else, but
> rather
> a mixture ;-)
>
> So I think this some up my ideas explained in more detail quite well. I am
> currently on my mobile phone. I can write this down in more detail once I
> am
> back to my PC if required.
>
> Kind regards Andreas
> On May 4, 2011 7:15 PM, "mikevan" &lt;mvangeertruy@comcast.net&gt; wrote:
>>
>> Andreas Pieber wrote:
>>>
>>> In fact I think we should take a look how far we really want to break
>>> down the various components. What really should be extracted. Although
>>> there are various possibilities to split Karaf I would roughly suggest
>>> something like: management, web, clustering, spring (to finally get
>>> the spring things out of the "real" core :)). Since there are 13 PMCs
>>> (if Jamie stays at releasing karaf-core there are still 12 remaining)
>>> I think it should be possible to find 4 PMCs willing to take over the
>>> release process for those components. I have no problem taking one
>>> myself (which means 3 remaining :))...
>>>
>>> Kind regards,
>>> Andreas
>>>
>>> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Jamie G.
>>> &lt;jamie.goodyear@gmail.com&gt;

> features
> implement

>> Is this different than what Guillaume originally suggested? The original
>> suggestion seemed aimed more at creating customer distributions of Karaf,
>> and this seems like breaking up optional functionality into
>> subprojects...
>
>> I'm a tad confused.
>>
>> -----
>> Mike Van (aka karafman)