Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by st...@grattan.co.uk on 2001/11/12 12:44:01 UTC

Performance problems

I am having BIG performance problems just running a simple (Hello World)
type program under Suse Linux 7.1. My setup is ;

JAVA (SUN) 1.3.1
TOMCAT 4.0.1
SOAP 2.2
 JavaMail 1.2
Xerces-J 1.4.3
JAF 1.0.1

And the JVM is set to -classic in jvm.cfg.

When I run the client (built with the same s/w as above) on either the same
Linux box or on a different NT Workstation V4 box, the response time from
hitting enter to getting the response is around 3 seconds.

This application is v.simple (copied from a JavaWorld article at
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-04-2001/jw-0427-soap.html).

To get it all working I changed catalina.sh in the tomcat/bin directory to
include the above components in the classpath as follows ;

CP=$CP:"/home/steve/soap-2_2/lib/soap.jar"
CP=$CP:"/home/steve/javamail-1.2/mail.jar"
CP=$CP:"/home/steve/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/common/lib/servlet.jar"
CP=$CP:"/home/steve/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.1/server/lib"
CP=$CP:"/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_01/lib"
CP="/home/steve/xerces-1_4_3/xerces.jar":$CP
CP=$CP:"/home/steve/jaf-1.0.1/activation.jar"
CP=$CP:"/home/steve/soap-2_2/samples"

The above lines were added after the CP env.var is set.

The Java Profiler shows no real CPU usage.

The CPU monitor shows the CPU pushing 100% for a brief period.

The hard disk light flickers briefly (logging ?)

I guess my setup is wrong somewhere but I have no idea where.

Is anyone else running this config ?

Any help will be very gratefully taken.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Mullarkey

We have a rigidly enforced E-mail Standards Policy. Any E-mail or E-mail
attachment that is in contravention of this policy would be outside the
scope of authority of our employees.

Re: Performance problems

Posted by Radovan Janecek <ja...@systinet.com>.
Posted by Radovan Janecek <ja...@systinet.com>.

RE: Performance problems

RE: Performance problems

Re: Performance problems

Re: Performance problems

RE: Performance problems

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
And individual request response time appears instananeous (less than a
quarter second) on a simple hello world request.

Anne Thomas Manes
CTO, Systinet (formerly Idoox)
www.systinet.com

RE: Performance problems

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.

Re: Performance problems

Posted by Radovan Janecek <ja...@systinet.com>.

Re: Performance problems

Posted by Radovan Janecek <ja...@systinet.com>.

Re: Performance problems

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.

Re: Performance problems

Posted by William Brogden <wb...@bga.com>.

Re: Performance problems

Re: Performance problems

Re: Performance problems

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.
Eh - no - most setups deal with some 10's of messages a second at the very
least; esp. when the RTT is short. With longer round trip times and real
long distatn conenctions you'd front it with apache anyway - so that
offloading of the stack would again give you 10-100's of connectioons even
on the most modest hardware (say a 450Mhz Apple iBook / 256Mb / MacOS X).

Dw

Re: Performance problems

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.

Re: Performance problems