Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matt <mh...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/21 17:15:28 UTC

Spam that is nothing but one large image

Hi,
We have received a large quantity of spam that is nothing but a large
image.  Spamassassin is tagging it a little because it is an image,
and only an image, however I'm wondering how other people are
handeling this type of spam?    I don't want to score mail that is
just an image with a very high score, since that could render a legit
mail with a picture in it or something as spam.  Any thoughts?

Re: Spam that is nothing but one large image

Posted by Dirk Bonengel <di...@bonengel.de>.
Matt,

try enabling razor, pyzor and dcc. You might also want to try the iXhash
plugin I did some time ago (if you run a 3.1.x installation. See
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/iXhash for ore info on that and drop
me a mail if you use it so I can get in touch)
Those image only spams in fact do contain text and/or html code, and the
above mentioned plugins can score on that. At least that's what I see here
SURBL and URIBL are nice to have to but fail with stock spam that's
often sent as 'image only'

Dirk

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> Matt <mh...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>> We have received a large quantity of spam that is nothing but a large
>> image.  Spamassassin is tagging it a little because it is an image,
>> and only an image, however I'm wondering how other people are
>> handeling this type of spam?    I don't want to score mail that is
>> just an image with a very high score, since that could render a legit
>> mail with a picture in it or something as spam.  Any thoughts?
>
> I receive a lot of "stock spam".
> It consist of a little bit of "cloaking html" and all content is
> contained in attached image.

The SARE stocks ruleset covers this. It has rules specific to this kind of
"image spam"

www.rulesemporium.com

Re: Spam that is nothing but one large image

Posted by Andrzej Adam Filip <an...@xl.wp.pl>.

--
[pl2en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl
http://anfi.homeunix.net/

Re: Spam that is nothing but one large image

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Gaute Lund wrote:
> [...]

Create rule A, and score it 1.0, Create rule B, and score it 1.0

meta L_A_AND_B	(A && B)
score L_A_AND_B 2.0

if both A and B match, it will total 4.0 (1.0 + 1.0 + 2.0)

RE: Spam that is nothing but one large image

Posted by Gaute Lund <ga...@idrift.no>.

If so, how?

Med vennleg helsing / Best regards
Gaute Lund
IT consultant
iDrift AS
Phone: (+47) 53 47 22 00
Fax: (+47) 53 47 22 01
Mobile: (+47) 97 00 82 00

Re: Spam that is nothing but one large image

Posted by Matt <mh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.

Posted by Martin Hepworth <ma...@solid-state-logic.com>.
Matt

Make sure you've got the URI-RBLs working (check the plugins in init.pre and
v310.pre) and also maybe add the URI-Black in to the mix as well..

http://www.uribl.com/

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator
> We have received a large quantity of spam that is nothing but a large
> image.  Spamassassin is tagging it a little because it is an image,
> and only an image, however I'm wondering how other people are
> handeling this type of spam?    I don't want to score mail that is
> just an image with a very high score, since that could render a legit
> mail with a picture in it or something as spam.  Any thoughts?

the system manager.