Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by vb...@scdi.org on 2009/09/11 16:09:03 UTC

Re: AW: Is there a real(!) advantage of Ivy over placing the depends in the VCS

>> If you download all your dependencies from a Maven repository (check
>> the ivyroundup project on googlecode) you are immune to that problem
>> (as long as the library is available on that repo; but it's Maven's
>> point).
>
> For me, that's true. But if anyone else (who hasn't done this) wants to
> compile the project he/she can't do this if the dependency has gone.

I meant "using the remove Maven repository" (as in
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/) and not "creating your own repository".

Your dependency is now on having access to the Maven repository *the
very first time* you compile the project.  But since you need to have
access to the Internet to download the project in the first place, you
also have access to the internet when you compile the project.

Since Ivy caches the dependencies you can later develop without being online.

-Vladimir