Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Adrian Owen <ad...@eesm.com> on 2021/05/17 11:17:57 UTC

RDP The remote desktop server is unavailable

Hi,

1.2  Guacamole.

Setup: Both tests from same browser on same workstation.
Connection: Active Directory account RDP session to Windows 7 workstation.
Pre-test: Mstsc RDP connection as Normal Domain Account is OK.

1)      Normal Domain Account - member of local "Remote Desktop Users" on workstation

They connect OK.  But then popup "The remote desktop server is unavailable" - then reconnect and popup over and over.

System is unusable

2)      Active Directory Domain Admin account RDP session to the same Windows 7 workstation.

No problem. Session is fine.

Has anyone experienced any similar Guacamole RDP issue. And how to resolve?

Many thanks, Adrian

Re: RDP The remote desktop server is unavailable

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 9:36 AM Adrian Owen <ad...@eesm.com> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>

> We disabled glyph caching but user disconnects continue.

According to the log, the disconnect is because someone else logged onto
the server:

May 24 09:59:33 server10 guacd[19459]:
ERRINFO_DISCONNECTED_BY_OTHER_CONNECTION (0x00000005):Another user
connected to the server, forcing the disconnection of the current
connection.
May 24 09:59:34 server10 guacd[19459]: RDP server closed connection:
Disconnected by other connection.
May 24 09:59:34 server10 guacd[19459]: Disconnect reason code: 0x5.

This is completely outside of Guacamole - another user is connecting to the
RDP server and forcibly logging off. There are two scenarios where this is
common:
1) Users are sharing a common username and password, but the account is
only allowed 1 session. When a user with the same username and password
logs in, the first user will be disconnected.
2) Servers where the number of RDP connections is limited - as in the case
of either Windows Workstation (XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10), where only a
single session is allowed, or in the case of Windows Server where the RDS
role is not installed and RDP is limited to 2 sessions. In both of these
cases, if an additional user beyond the limit of the server connects, the
first user(s) can be forcibly disconnected.

> We set verbose Guacamole logging
>

> Grep single guacd user process 19495 from daemon.log and extract file is
> attached (large)
>

> At 09:59:03  heavy lag begins.  User eventually click Reconnect, killing
> process.

We vmstat but guacamole server only 10% capacity whole time.

> What can cause lagging?

If you're seeing heavy lag, and you've verified that resources on the
Guacamole Server aren't the issue (both guacd and Tomcat, if they're
running on separate servers), then you need to look at the network, as
that's the other place where lag will occur. This lag appears to be between
the user's browser (the Web Application) and guacd, via the Tomcat tunnel,
and not between guacd and the RDP server.

-Nick

RE: RDP The remote desktop server is unavailable

Setup: Both tests from same browser on same workstation.
Connection: Active Directory account RDP session to Windows 7 workstation.
Pre-test: Mstsc RDP connection as Normal Domain Account is OK.

1)      Normal Domain Account – member of local “Remote Desktop Users” on workstation

They connect OK.  But then popup “The remote desktop server is unavailable” – then reconnect and popup over and over.

System is unusable

2)      Active Directory Domain Admin account RDP session to the same Windows 7 workstation.

No problem. Session is fine.

Has anyone experienced any similar Guacamole RDP issue. And how to resolve?

Can you try to disable Glyph Caching on the connection and see if that resolves the issue?

-Nick

RE: RDP The remote desktop server is unavailable

Posted by Adrian Owen <ad...@eesm.com>.
Thanks Nick,

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.